Skip to main content

Penetrating Oil Mix

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 10 months ago #194362 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Penetrating Oil Mix
Wot sum yanks swear by ................. or swear @

Heat the problem bolt up n let the heat melt sum candle wax onto problem area mainly on the end of thread
let it cool
n do it all again ............... may B 3 or more times
the heating & cooling draws the candle wax into thread (Paraffin me thinx they call it)
cya
§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #194363 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Penetrating Oil Mix
VP has 8 big grade 8 bolts holding the front suspension in. Guy at Fortuna engineering has a huge rattle gun, would not even look at them. (was doing a wheel align) Probably been there for 34 years.
Took her home and heated each head till glowing and kept like that for a few mins, then squirted water on the head for a minute or so to shrink the bolt from the heated and expanded thread. (no access for WD or similar)
Bolts came out with a small spanner !

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by busman.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194370 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Penetrating Oil Mix
Heating bolts red hot converts the rust in the thread ,and shrinks its volume.......freeing the thread.....It also removes the heat treat the bolt has ,making it softer...........if you can get access,the most effective penetrant is 30% solution of nitric acid...this is highly penetrating,and dissolves rust at the same time................using tallow,or beeswax,or candlewax is an old steamfitters remedy.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194375 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Penetrating Oil Mix
I think the thread form also has a lot to do with it.
Rusty BSF or SAE will always give grief whereas some ancient Whitworth thing will undo.
I noticed the track guy used a 1" rattle gun driven by a mobile compressor when removing the track plates to replace pins and bushes.
The track bolts were very course metric and mine had never been undone, so at least 30 years in the dirt.
A slosh of sump oil and into it with the rattle gun.
They either came off in a flash or he didn't bother, out with the gas axe.
Only had to replace about 10 for both tracks which amazed me.
Also saw on TV a reno show in the UK where they used a huge square water tank once used to fill steam trains. It was fabricated from cast iron panels all bolted together.
No idea how old it was, 100 years would not surprise me but those blokes undid the old square headed bolts and nuts that held it together and removed a couple of floor panels to make access stairs.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194384 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Penetrating Oil Mix
Well aware that heat/shrink does not do the bolt a lot of good, but if they won't come out and there is no access for any form of penetrant works good, just need to replace the bolts, which was planned from the start.
To try and refit, refit, rethread, whatever, the "nut" part was totally impossible in this situation, if any bolts had been broken on the way out I honestly have no idea what we would have done, totally impossible to rework them where they were located.

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194564 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Penetrating Oil Mix
This is a real 1950's Wd40 pack.

Attachments:

More
5 years 10 months ago #194588 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Penetrating Oil Mix
That would go over well today, i'm sure.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194590 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Penetrating Oil Mix
If you are looking for a carrier that helps wick the useful ingredient in, and then evaporates, leaving the useful to do its job, what is wrong with good old petrol (I believe our Ameri6acn friends call it gas(oline). It is cheaper than bottled water, too!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 10 months ago #194592 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Penetrating Oil Mix

Lang wrote: This is a real 1950's Wd40 pack.

I could do with some of that but the good lady would say I
Need a can of start you b#$*%@d as well
Bluey

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 9 months ago #194595 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Penetrating Oil Mix
Bluey
m80
not forget n