Skip to main content

engine storage

More
5 years 7 months ago #196455 by John Whale
engine storage was created by John Whale
Hello all i was offered a good motor at what i considered a good price. I want to store it until i fit it which may a while (up to 12 months) what is the best way to store ie fluids covers etc etc so it can be dropped in and fired up? thanks in advance cheers whale

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #196459 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic engine storage
If its a diesel,12 months undercover wont have any effect...........I like to run diesels on clean hydraulic oil as fuel for a few minutes .....then the injector pump plungers will never stick....The Gardner in my old crane has sat unused for periods of years,and started up ok.......its not totally out of the weather either..........GMs will freeze up the injectors pretty quick if left sitting...and that seizes the rack......Petrol engines should have oil sprayed into the carby while they are running,until smoke pours out...........this stops the bores rusting,and the exhaust valves sticking............

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #196467 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic engine storage
Aviation people use this all the time. Readily available.

AeroShell Fluid 2XN
Engine Preservative Concentrate
AeroShell Fluid 2XN is a corrosion preservative concentrate for protecting infrequently used engines. It uses an ashless anti-corrosion additive package and highly refined mineral base oils to protect internal engine sufaces from the Effects of humidity. It is also designed to neutralize the acidic by-products of oil oxidation and combustion.
AeroShell Flud 2XN can be used neat to long-term storage, but it is typically mixed with one part AeroShell Fluid 2XN to three parts fresh AeroShell Oil 100 to create an inhibited oil. It can also be sprayed undiluted on piston-engine exhaust ports, Rocker arms and accessories to provide additional protection.

Detailed instructions for inhibiting piston engines are given in specification MIL-E-6059A (inactive) and in the relevant engine manufacturer´s publication.

Approvals

MIL-C-6529C Type I

NOTE Aviation oil numbers are double car oil numbers eg W100 is actually ordinary 50 grade which is the most common aircraft engine oil it is not some sort of 100 gear oil. You could use any car oil with the inhibiting stuff to do the job.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 7 months ago #196497 by John Whale
Replied by John Whale on topic engine storage
Thank you fella's for your reply i was thinking more about the coolant situation should i drain it or fill it i should probably qualify my topic and say it is a 903 cummins and was worried about the liner issue's but i do stand to be corrected on that cheers whale

More
5 years 7 months ago #196500 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic engine storage
Would take a bit of effort to seal the block to use inhibited coolant...........these coolants only work if air is excluded.....with air ,they rust worse than plain water......I would just leave it dry......certainly dont spray inside as the liner O rings may swell......Cummins liners cavitate thru from engine operation......in fact if the truck is just used as a yard crane,rust buildup will stop liner water leaks .

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds