Skip to main content

Single strap trailer

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #201184 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Single strap trailer
John

Just had a thought on the reason ilmenite is the standard media for most big job professionals.

Two features:
1. Extremely hard with sharp edged grains for good cutting and multiple recycling.

2. Because of its weight the grains have much more energy (E=MV squared) than most other material and hit much harder for the same air velocity. This means you can have finer grains and smooth finish with the same cutting ability of lighter material with bigger grains leaving a rough finish.

Another good thing is its extremely good dry flow characteristics reducing blockages and intake flow disruption in the pot.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201195 by Dazza1949
Replied by Dazza1949 on topic Single strap trailer
I didn’t know blasting with sand was dangerous. Years ago when I was working in Perth we used heaps of Mullaloo beach sand for blasting.
I’ll add this to my list of hazards that I’ve encountered over the years
Asbestos
Underground mining dust
Roundup
Numerous cleaning substances
And now sand
Seventy years young and no signs of any ill health.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201197 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Single strap trailer

Dazza1949 wrote: I didn’t know blasting with sand was dangerous. Years ago when I was working in Perth we used heaps of Mullaloo beach sand for blasting.
I’ll add this to my list of hazards that I’ve encountered over the years
Asbestos
Underground mining dust
Roundup
Numerous cleaning substances
And now sand
Seventy years young and no signs of any ill health.

Myself also, I’m 72

More
4 years 10 months ago #201202 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Single strap trailer
I don't know about other places but in the state of Victoria, it is illegal to blast with sand. I guess because of the sanger of silicosis.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 10 months ago #201205 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Single strap trailer
Morris,its illegal everywhere in Oz.............when you buy bagged dry sand ,generally you have to sign a declaration ............its is legal to use sand in a wet blaster,tho...........But I think any kind of outdoor dry blasting requires extensive safeguards to be legal.,no matter what the grit...........remember ,there is always a risk of lead paint ,so lead dust from blasting........Fines are massive ,if you get caught.............so dont do it in your backyard ,if the neighbour is likely to rat you out.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201211 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Single strap trailer
For the small bits done in a cabinet, I run the garnet over and over until it's gone. I use a dust extractor and flyscreen over the mesh work platform to stop rust and paint flakes getting through. I will be in there for a couple of hours tonight with some stationary engine bits.
For chassis, I put tarps out, seive and reuse until it's all gone.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 10 months ago #201222 by cro
Replied by cro on topic Single strap trailer
What is the best material for blasting. Obviously the more professional blaster would prefure different materials depending on what he is blasting. But lets say my trailer, mostly thick metal with heaps of lead paint, would course or fine blasting media be better. ie course or fine sand.

Ill think of something shortly

More
4 years 10 months ago #201226 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Single strap trailer
best by a mile is steel grit.......not much dearer than garnet and it lasts indefinitely......the only loss is what goes out in the work......next would be cast iron grit......not as hard ,but cheaper and more rust resistant............incidentlly,no commercial blaster will touch lead paint.......they test with a lead kit..........one thing I did learn ,tho,is that fine garnet actually cuts paint quicker than coarse........the dust is the most abrasive of all.........and garnet dust does some incredible things to pipework.................a trailer with lead paint ,would need to be blasted in a 400 acre paddock....your paddock.

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds