Skip to main content

AT4 114 Express Utility

More
4 years 5 months ago #204857 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic AT4 114 Express Utility
Disregard the above, didn’t read the reply correctly . Slotted head bolt is where the grease nipple goes. I must have the same manuals as you blokes as all they tell you is “ use special tool DD-431 which attaches into the pin at the grease fitting hole”.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #204859 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic AT4 114 Express Utility
Anything on the inside ends of the pins or are they blind holes? The hex would suggest they unscrew and the tool is to then draw them out.
Cheers Steve
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Blackduck59.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204865 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic AT4 114 Express Utility
Not having done one, but I'm tipping that you remove the lock nut and washer, then unscrew the pin out of the inner housing. Chrysler used a lot of screw in pins in the early days.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204866 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic AT4 114 Express Utility
Yeah, that sounds about right. If you can get that slotted plug out without damaging the thread, make up a simple puller out of a hunk of pipe large enough to go around the pin itself, a decent plate with a bolt the same thread as the grease nipple thread. Have a handful of thick washers handy and as you screw the bolt in, should draw the pin out, keep adding washers between the plate (with the bolt in it) and the pipe collar, will do the same job as the special puller. I’d be soaking it in WD40 or Penetrene for a while first, be also handy if you had some heat handy, should you need it. Now I think about it, some early Jeeps used a similar setup, used to get the bushes out the same way once the weight was taken off the spring eye. Installation should be a reversal of the procedure either using a fairly substantial “G” clamp or tapping in with a brass drift. Use plenty of grease on pin.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204870 by wee-allis
Dave, the screw driver headed section is, in my opinion, part of the pin. The nut and washer act as lock nut retaining pressure on the housing to hold the pin from turning. Once the nut and washer are removed, the pin is unscrewed from the inner housing, using the screw driver slot. There is no provision for a grease nipple as the bushes are rubber.

As you suggest, lots of slippery stuff required to get them out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
4 years 5 months ago #204872 by wee-allis
Ar110, Dave and others, if you go back to Post #135012 on the 14 Jan 2014 of this very forum, you can see what they look like and how they fit. Found this through a Google search.

Sorry, I don't know how to put a link to the earlier post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
4 years 5 months ago #204873 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic AT4 114 Express Utility

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
4 years 5 months ago #204874 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic AT4 114 Express Utility
That looks like they maybe held in with a cotter pin and the outer thread and nut holds the outer plate
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds