Skip to main content

PTO drive for Ford/Dodge/Inter NP435 transmission

More
3 years 10 months ago #212173 by Dave_64
Hi,
Looking for a PTO drive gear OR a PTO with pump that will bolt to a Ford/Dodge/Inter NP435 transmission.
I know that Chelsea made them years ago, every now and then a PTO winch set up off a tow truck may surface.
The one I'm looking for bolts directly to the side of the transmission via a 6 hole SAE opening, and engages with the straight cut gear directly behind the countershaft input gears.
Couple of different types apparently, the one I'm chasing is a self contained unit where the actual pump body is cast into the housing where it bolts to the drivers side of the transmission. I have most of the other stuff, the ram, control cables etc.
Original set up was Edwards Bros (Edbro) , English taken over by Jost, no longer deal in that sort of stuff, handballed me to Nixons in Wagga, but seems to be some doubt as to compatability. They must have made hundreds of these little pumps over the years, Ford/Dodge/Inter all used variations of the NP435 for many years, the basic internals were almost standard, the countershafts were interchangeable as well as the positioning of the SAE opening.
Any help forthcoming would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #212174 by Lang
Dave

Prices Wrecking in Dalby have a container of maybe 200 PTO's. Darling Downs was full of trucks with bag lifters and tippers back in the day.

Give them a call. There are not that many different designs. A few dimensions and description might well have one on the mail to you.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 10 months ago #212180 by JOHN.K.
The one from the 5 sp New Process is virtually the same ,but the hydraulic pump driver runs on a helical gear to get the speed needed.......I fitted a 5 sp one to my brothers Inter ,double checked everything twice ,unfortunately the gear helix angle was very slightly different ,and the layshaft in his box was marked .....did not amuse him .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 10 months ago #212186 by Dave_64
Thanks, Lang and John.K.
Shot Prices an email outlining what I was chasing. Cheers.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #212195 by Dave_64
Well, just back inside after throwing the old bod underneath this jigger, amid all the mud, grease, crud and other unrecognizable organisms, looking for any numbers, tags, ID plates etc. Couldn't find a one, doesn't mean they are not there, could be well hidden.
ORIGINAL PTO/pump is of the EDBRO make (Limey) quite common but unfortunately no longer serviced either here or over in the Old Dart. After all, unit is around 60 odd years old.
Way this was/is set up, bolted to PASSENGER side SAE 6 bolt opening facing to the rear.(This is on original Karrier transmission, think it looks like an ENV) Quite a compact little unit, wouldn't be much more than about 10-12 inches long, one hose in, one hose out. One lever to engage idler gear with countershaft gear in trans with main drive gear in PTO/pump, one other lever goes direct into control body of valve, would say it is for controlling rate of ascent/descent of 3 stage EDBRO ram, which sits on a base that doubles as a reservoir and straddles the chassis crossways behind the cabin.
Want to bolt it to a std 6 stud SAE opening on a New Process NP435, but their opening is on the DRIVERS side. So, it's either going to be facing FORWARD and may not clear the bellhousing, or even if the whole pto/pump can be rotated 180 degrees and then faced backwards, the control levers/ valve actuators would be upside down.
Have a spare NP435 trans under the bench as well as a couple of spare covers for the pto opening.
Nixons of Wagga seem to know a bit about the older EDBRO stuff, have emailed them also. No joy there may have to source a replacement PTO/pump from Prices.
Going to have to wait until I remove the shed off the chassis, or at least remove all the floor plates so I can get at it a bit easier,
Knew I should have been in Sunday School instead of laying around in the mud and grease!
Dave
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Dave_64.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #212198 by Southbound
Straight cut gear, 6 bolt mounting and optional extension, but no pump.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Southbound.

More
3 years 10 months ago #212199 by JOHN.K.
Pretty sure you will find the one you want has a helical gear.....This is the problem my brother had ....PTO hole is on drivers ,his IH is a 4x4 ,and PTO wont fit for drive to front.....He searched hi and lo for a LHS PTO hole box,nothing sold in Oz with the box has one ..........anyway ,he also has the option of a PTO on the transfer ,and the truck is presently unused ,so there it is.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 10 months ago #212204 by Swishy
Cogz M80

If all else fails
Try
PowerAuto
4/147-153 Greens Rd, Dandenong South VIC 3175
9791 2255

Fail n th@
try
John or Cameron
cameron@rochydraulics.com

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 10 months ago #212206 by Zuffen
Stupid question;

Why couldn't you flip the gear on the shaft and mount he case upside down.

This would give the helical gear the correct orientation and the drive to the rear.

The operating levers may be on top or below when you want the opposite but sometime beggars can't be choosers.

More
3 years 10 months ago #212208 by Dave_64
Guys, thanx one and all for your input.
Southbound, sent you a P/M.
Looking at the spare NP435 I have in the shed, the setup that Southbound sent the pics of, is the one that would suit, EXCEPT that is either for a winch outlet or for a remote mounted pump.
Zuffen, I thought I had explained that I may be able to flip the housing 180 degrees to fit on the drivers side, but that controls would be facing down, more than one way to alter that, and that would include possibly changing the layout of the valve.
Biggest problem I can see is there are various "Idler" gears between the different PTO/pump manufacturers Muncie, Chelsea and Edbro all have made pto/pumps for the NP435's over the years. Think you would have to be lucky for the idler gear from one manufacturer to fit another's. Until I get the EDBRO pump off won't know for sure, only thing I have been able to ascertain is that, that particular make of pump is getting extremely hard to get parts for. have tried both here and overseas, awaiting reply back from Nixons.

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds