Skip to main content

PTO drive for Ford/Dodge/Inter NP435 transmission

More
3 years 10 months ago #212253 by JOHN.K.
Think the price of new stuff might be a shock too.......the bricktrucks had a Southcott pump for the cranes ,and every now and then ,a driver would blow a pump to bits by driving with it engaged....Cost several thousand dollars,IIRC.......Powauto stuff isnt cheap either.......they used to be David Brown ,dunno who now.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #212307 by Dave_64
Drew a blank on this particular one unfortunately , so still on lookout. Thanks.

More
3 years 10 months ago #212313 by JOHN.K.
Ill ask my brother ,he collected a lot of PTO stuff for the NP gearbox ,but none of it is any use with a 4x4,unless he finds a gearbox casing with a LHS mounted PTO.......There is another alternative used in the Ford suitcase gearboxes......drive the pto from the rear of the layshaft.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 10 months ago #212314 by Dave_64
John.K.
P/M sent
Dave

More
3 years 10 months ago #212493 by bel
Hi Dave
Re PTO drive
This is probably not what you want exactly but I have a 6 stud PTO straight cut gear : it was taken off an Austin many years ago and replaced with a PTO pump like you are looking for.
I also have a set of Helical cut gears that were taken out of one of these PTO’s : I don’t know wether you need straight or helical
If you want to contact me I can send some photos for your perusal

More
3 years 10 months ago #212501 by Dave_64
bel, p/m sent. Dave

More
3 years 9 months ago #212739 by Dave_64
Well, back to the old drawing board! Caught up with bel down in Ballarat yesterday, unfortunately his pto very early and had straight cut gears so no real use for me. Then found similar pto over the west, but again, too early for mine.
The actual control valve has gone walkabout and trying to locate a simple lever type valve which has a built in pressure release valve built into it. Have Powauto trying to adapt something at the moment,
Located correct gears at Nixons Wagga, but not valving, so still on lookout if Powauto can't help out.
Two problems, this pto/pump 60 odd years old and WAS manual control. All modern controls either electric or air, want neither! Want simple hand lever beside seat or through back wall as in original.
Other problem they made these pumps by the thousands and EVERY one has a different set of gears to suit just about any type of transmission. Try explaining that to someone who offers one for sale! "Its a 6 hole SAE opening, they are all the same!"
Right! The opening may be the same, there are a myriad of tooth counts, straight or angle cut, overall diameters. I recall John.K. saying it was a minefield and he was right!

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212745 by Lang
Dave

Instead of all the stuffing around with PTO's and pumps.

I just bought this from a bloke who wrecks fork lifts. Cost $200 for the complete unit, motor, controls, pump and tank. One wire and a hose to the ram and you are away.

This one is for ramps for my beaver tail truck (if I find one) so only pump up, free-fall down like the old tipper system. He had pump up and pump down if required for the same price. He told me there are people all over who have these units from old machines.

Lang

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 9 months ago #212748 by Dave_64
Lang,
Me bro-in-law recently had one of those fitted to his Toyota Cab chassis. I better not tell him what you paid for it!
He told me on the weekend that his cost him over a grand (new) and admittedly was fitted by them.
I didn't look at a s/h one of those, for some reason got fixated on the one I had here.
Worked out that a control valve is missing, so by time replace that as well as getting the correct gear sets, probably work out twice as much as what you paid!
Any idea of the capacity? OR, limited by the size of whatever ram you use?
I know the bro in law often sticks a couple of tonne of rip rap from the quarry on his and it does struggle a bit, but eventually gets it done. Suppose there are always different rated units.
Thanks, I get in strife, may contact you for the sellers phone number!
Dave

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212750 by Lang
Dave

I am sure these will have more pressure than the original PTO pump. Only limitation might be tank capacity as I remember those old G-Well and EDBRO hoists had a pretty big section ram to give the required hydraulic "gear ratio" for a low pressure pump. Pretty easy to put on another tank or enlarge that one to give you what you want.

Bloke's name is Leon 07 3281 8807

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds