Skip to main content

Kenworth Sleeper Cab

More
3 years 7 months ago #215121 by MarkA
Kenworth Sleeper Cab was created by MarkA
Gents,

Did Kenworth attach a part number or serial number to their sleeper cabs and if so what would the location be, I'm looking at a box for my 1973 W925 and I want to make sure it is the real deal.

By the pictures it looks correct , bubble roof, square doors, although the handles are a T handles, but old mate said its 27 inches wide, KW didn't make a 27 inch box?

Any information on the subject would be appreciated

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #215129 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Kenworth Sleeper Cab
I'm led to believe that If It was fitted at the factory. The Chassis Number was written in Crayon/Texta inside prior to fitting the Trim..
Pretty sure that 27" sleepers were fairly common back in the early 70's as we had fairly restrictive length Limits Back then hence the SAR...Also there were heaps of Aftermarket Sleepers available as well.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 7 months ago #215132 by MarkA
Replied by MarkA on topic Kenworth Sleeper Cab
Another item , has a rear window, I haven't seen a genuine sleeper with a rear window fitted , may need to get old mate to pock around and see if he can find some numbers.

More
3 years 7 months ago #215140 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Kenworth Sleeper Cab
The T-handles are period correct although I don't recall the 27 inch box appearing until at least 1975. The rear window was a normal option.

Here's a photo for reference (borrowed from fb and edited) - a 27 inch box with t-handles and a rear window, on a W model maybe late 70's

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 7 months ago #215146 by MarkA
Thanks for the information, i think I will keep looking for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, 36 inch bunk.
I feel the 27 inch that old mate has may be OE, but ?

Thanks

More
3 years 7 months ago #215222 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Kenworth Sleeper Cab

MarkA wrote: Thanks for the information, i think I will keep looking for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, 36 inch bunk.
I feel the 27 inch that old mate has may be OE, but ?

Thanks

Kenworth parts manuals show part numbers for OEM 32 and 36 in early style sleepers. No mention of a 27in OEM sleeper. The sleepers fitted with the rear window used a W model cab rear window with three options either wind down, fixed or a sliding one.
Mark A if you need any other info PM me.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #215252 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Kenworth Sleeper Cab
The 32 inch was not an Australian option.
This from a 1976 KW Australia price book ......

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by jimbo51.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
3 years 7 months ago #215257 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Kenworth Sleeper Cab
Pretty luxurious eh? Imagine showing your new interstate driver the 27" bunk with he crawl through opening...
Guess back in those days, just to have a sleeper cab was a luxury! Amazing how many trucks from that era had no bunk.
Apart from the cost, why not? Was it really considered just a luxury?

Well, that said, my old Atki had no sleeper. It just wasn't thought about. You slept where you could... put up and shut up.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #215260 by MarkA
This is the 27 inch sleeper that was on offer and from the above information looks like it may be the rear deal.
Check out the trim!
My W925 has plenty of length so I'm going to keep looking for a 36 inch box

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Sarge.

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds