Skip to main content

The new old Atkinson

More
1 year 3 months ago #242542 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic The new old Atkinson
Thanks Brett, Im going to order new rubbers today and will probably get new glass cut for it. Sikaflex is your friend with these things! I had heard the leaks were fitted at the factory in clayton, to the point some drivers wore a plastic bag on their right foot to keep it dry!

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242543 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic The new old Atkinson
Thinking we were doing the right thing, we used a local crash repairer to fit the windscreens after we painted the cab, and he did a crap job. He came out to the farm, and i was assisting him, and i told him they would leak if he didn't use more sealer than he had applied (i'd seen it before), but he wouldn't listen, he reckoned he knew better, but time soon revealed otherwise. They leaked badly and i then had to fix them myself.

If you have old glass to use as templates to have new windscreens cut, MOST DEFINITELY make sure you get them back from the glass supplier!!!

I had hit an owl in the dark one night and broke the LHS windscreen (this was only just before we were planning to paint the cab). Anyhow, as i mentioned we dealt through the local crash repairer who sent the broken, but still intact windscreen away as a sample to have a new glass cut. New glass arrived, but was tinted, i have no idea why?, and of course in the time span of transport back to me the glass supplier had thrown the broken original sample glass away. So i made a special 150km trip to Adelaide myself to return the tinted glass, and have them cut a new clear glass, hopefully under my supervision, but even though they knew i was coming, and i was there first thing in the morning, i was told to go away and wait for a phone call. It somehow took them until 3:30pm in the afternoon to cut one new glass. When i returned just before 4pm to pick it up it was all wrapped up in cardboard and the tinted glass was no where to be seen, they were closing at 4pm and pushed me out the door, so..............., it wasn't until i got home and we went to fit the new windscreen did i find that they had cut it about 5-6mm smaller in height, and so when the glass sat fully home in the bottom seal, it didn't even enter into the top seal. Complete idiots!!!, i was absolutely fuming by this stage........................... You probably get the idea by now.........................!

So after making a short story long, moral to my story, please DO NOT get rid of anything, just in case!

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, scratcha

More
1 year 3 months ago #242547 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic The new old Atkinson

Thanks Brett, Im going to order new rubbers today and will probably get new glass cut for it. Sikaflex is your friend with these things! I had heard the leaks were fitted at the factory in clayton, to the point some drivers wore a plastic bag on their right foot to keep it dry!

Make sure you get the right size rubber (it has a name, just can't think of it). I bought mine myself and it was the next size up and caused lots of issues fitting the glass.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, scratcha

More
1 year 3 months ago #242605 by scratcha
Gday Oilman, I have an original sample, Ill make sure its the same measurments. ( havent ordered yet, got sidetracked )

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 3 months ago #242952 by scratcha
Got a few things polished over the weekend. I've committed to finishing this truck this year. I've got a fait list of things to do.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, eerfree, Morris, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, Mairjimmy, PaulFH, asw120, Tacho and 3 other people also said thanks.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #243213 by scratcha
As promised, ive repaired the stop cable, and 90% finished the drivers door assembly (both doors were bare and most parts in a plastic tub) window fitted, regulator and handles fitted, new bailey channel rubbers fitted and rehung the door.
I also removed the relay shaft that runs from the steering relay box to the steering box. (It's easy if you say it quick, ) but took about 4 hours, it needs new universal joints

Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, 180wannabe, cobbadog, eerfree, PaulFH, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243523 by scratcha
A bit more done on a flying trip today, fitted out passenger door, park lights and door scuff plates

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, Mairjimmy, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, xspanrman

More
1 year 2 months ago #243785 by scratcha
A little forward progress this weekend ( busy ripping fence posts) I fitted new wiper blades to the wiper heads and carpeted the passenger side floor! I ran out of carpet :whistle:

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Tacho, xspanrman

More
8 months 18 hours ago #247788 by scratcha
NOT A LOT TO TELL, ive got the bull bar home and are in the process of straighening it, found a mob who will lazer ut the windscreen glass for $150 each for the small corner ones, I just need to make sure my templates are correct, the rubber supplier was nil stock and i lost momentum. along with a heap of other work and a change of depot and roster has made finding time to work on it hard to come by.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds