Skip to main content

Chassis repairs/ welding KW125

More
2 years 11 months ago #221891 by Linz1607
Guys, looking for some guidance here. On my 1980 KW the chassis rails are badly rusted around the bogie drive area, no problems from the tanks forward. I would like to either replace the rear end with an air bag cut or maybe just replace the rails and cross members with some new steel. I might add i work for a large fabrication shop, so i do have a grasp of steel grade, weld prep, heat treatment etc.
The plan was to do the spliced cut and alignment myself, but get a someone in with a good size welder to to do the actual welding of the joint. I spoke to Kenworth, they advise that due to heat treatment no cut or weld was possible, i.e new rails required.
From my perspective any steel can be welded given the right pre and post treatments, however i cant seem to get any traction on the engineering standards to apply.

I My previous bus/ motorhome, (1986 model) i was able to contact the manufacturer and they provide an engineering bulletin on what could be done and what could not be done, so chassis repair was easy.

Trucker repairers must do chassis repairs occasionally and cuts off surely get attached, is it an independent engineer report i need? any suggestions welcomed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221892 by roKWiz
I'll stick this here and let you intepret what they say.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 11 months ago #221899 by cobbadog
You could possibly take to India where they do that kind of repair all the time and could be organised to have it done while you wait.
Sorry, but there must be a valid reason as to why they claim not to de the type of repair you wish to do. There must be something in the grade of steel plus the type of repair that they feel it is unsafe to do. I would guess that an Independent Engineering that is recognised by the Authorities in Your State, RMS here in NSW, will have to pass the repair. Try looking up the list on Engineers they recognise and contact one or two to get their version of what can and can't be done.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Linz1607

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 11 months ago #221901 by Swishy
More than 2 ways to skin a C@
not recommended for a truck to go onfull work or for sale
slide all the crossmembers and supension out
fit a chassis insert where bogi or rust is
jack chassis out to make larger n easy to slide bits back n slide bogi n cross members back in
run drill thru existing holes
= Dun Deal
this procedure is not recommended
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Linz1607, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #221904 by Dave_64
Been following this one, have seen many conversions, albeit probably some years ago, where the chassis itself had been extended.
Most likely short chassis P/Movers blown out lengthwise to make rigids.
Just reading whats been written, if I understand this correctly, this is no longer allowed?
Only way seems that you have to order the correct length chassis, completely swap the components onto the new chassis?
Or, have I got that wrong?
Used to be allowed to insert a section of chassis rail, usually inside the existing one, which had been cut at an angle and rebolted with hi-tensile bolts and washers, even seen it done on double skinned chassis. Non-welding I could understand, once the specially heat treated steel was hit with the welder, affects the integrity of the chassis rails? OK so far?
Well, what about where the original chassis rails were RIVETTED together, be it crossmembers or even double or triple skin chassis?
Once you drill the original rivet out (and they seem to be mostly soft material), even if you replaced those original ones with hi-tensile bolts, lock washers etc, wouldn't that affect the integrity? Even though you weren't heating any components?
I have done a couple like this (NOT chassis extensions, but replacing rivets with hi-tensie bolts) mostly old Jeeps. Both of them had to go through an engineers inspection and nothing was said. However, this was a while ago, maybe the last one about fifteen years or so.
So, has the rule book been re-written?
Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Dave_64.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221909 by cobbadog
Hi Dave,
I can't see any problem drilling out a rivet and replacing it with a nut n bolt then tensioned. That process is not introducing the kind of heat that welding does.
Now not being a meatalurgist I would imagine thatthe proceedure taken to heat treat would change the molecular structure of the steel and may put the molecules all in a line for its strength. Introducing hi temps in a localised area as welding does would alter all that original process. Just my uneducated guess here.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 11 months ago #221911 by jon_d

I would guess that an Independent Engineering that is recognised by the Authorities in Your State, RMS here in NSW, will have to pass the repair. Try looking up the list on Engineers they recognise and contact one or two to get their version of what can and can't be done.

It would be a gutsy move by an engineer to approve something that is opposite to what the manufacture prescribes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 11 months ago #221913 by asw120
I remember (long before I had any interest in heavier trucks) often seeing the sticker on the chassis of many trucks saying roughly: "High tensile - do not weld"
This went along with keeping an eye out for 4-digit trailer serial number plates (can't remember what brand of trailers that was, but most had 5 digits)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 years 11 months ago #221916 by wee-allis

I remember (long before I had any interest in heavier trucks) often seeing the sticker on the chassis of many trucks saying roughly: "High tensile - do not weld"
This went along with keeping an eye out for 4-digit trailer serial number plates (can't remember what brand of trailers that was, but most had 5 digits)

Jarrod.
As long as I remember, every truck with a high tensile chassis had those stickers, regardless of make. How many of us have heard of a truck being either defected or refused rego because of chassis modifications? How many of us can PERSONALLY recall seeing an altered chassis breaking? Even dealers would do mods to suit a potential buyers needs. As for welding, even cutting the back off a chassis with gas would have some affect on tensile strength.

If done properly and finished well, it should be impossible to tell a chassis has been altered.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221917 by mammoth
I think that the deal with Kenworth is that in order to save weight but still have a chassis that is flexible and resilient they have gone for a steel that responds to post forming heat treatment. In other words what ever you do you won't be able to achieve a smooth transition between old and new.
Cam (who is well qualified to do so) did a post on here a while back on stretching his Dodge 700 series and talked about merits of straight vs slanted cuts and how to go about welding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, wee-allis, Tassie Dan

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds