Skip to main content

1915 packard chassis

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #234630 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic 1915 packard chassis
Cobba, so where can we get forklift tyres that size? American they would be either 30" or 36" diameter wheels that the tyre band presses onto. UK and Europe used metric, typically, 720mm, 820, and 850.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #234631 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1915 packard chassis
Blastermike, I typed a long message to you two days ago but my computer was having a bad day and it all disappeared just as I finished. I gave up for that day and yesterday I had a very early start so did not open the computer at all. It appears to be OK today, so I will have another go.

Wow, that Packard is a wonderful find. It is just the type of thing I was looking for many years ago. These days I am too old to take on new major projects and am selling off parts and vehicles for less than scrap prices to people I think will use them. Did you get the wheels you were looking for about a year ago? I sent photos and description of mine but have not heard If you want them.

You have since told us about many other parts you have, so you are well on the way.

It took me 35 years and one week to collect a set of ten of the correct 23 inch wheels for my 1927 Morris Commercial D Type Six Wheeler. I have parts for an ever rarer truck, a mid 1920's Yellow Knight but as I tell people, I do not have another 35 years.

Got to go now, computer starting to act up.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #234632 by Morris
Mike, last message went OK, so here I go again.

Years ago I read of a man who found the remains of a circa 1899 Steam car on an outback property in Queensland. It had been left where it stopped or broke down? The man dug down more than a foot for a circle he said was about 30 feet across and found many parts that had fallen off the car over the years. Maybe you will be able to find parts of your Packard on the station where it was stripped.

As soon as this sends I will send you a PM.

Morris.

I'm gritting my teeth,

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #234654 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1915 packard chassis
When I worked in the forklift tyre game back in the 1980's the largest company traded as Bearcat Tyres or Bearcat International. Another used to be Ateco but I think my old boss from Bearcat bought their franchise then went on to sell the lot to a company from Sri Lanka/India. Head office was based in Sydney at Alexandria but moved out Seven Hills Penrith way somewhere. We also had a wheel manufacturing shop and used that shop to cut down some wide cushion tyres to be the right width to fit the vintage wheels. With a rough estimate of your tyre size I may still remember what size was available then. Another name that they might trade by would be Solid Deal which I notice seems to be a popular forklift tyre now. That was a brand name we made up to supply to the OE market.
So if you want to track the tyre down it is known in the industry as a cushion tyre.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #234663 by blastermike
Replied by blastermike on topic 1915 packard chassis
Hi morris, no i havent found any wheels yet for the 37 2 ton Reo, im probably goung to have to remove the centers from the 4 crook ones and find some 20” x 41/2” rims to adapt them too?
The packard chassis is a good find for here, lucky it was in the high country where its cold and dry, otherwise it would of disappeared decades ago
from the owner ive found out the local district garage that bought the truck new were the ones that converted into a trailer, i have a contact down there whos going to follow up some possible leafs in the area so who knows what else may turn up?
attached a pic of my tyre press when i got it and the spare packard engine
Mike

Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #234677 by cobbadog
Nice solid looking press. What is it rated at and does the ram go down below the frame. The orkshop press we had was of similar design and pressed 250 tons. Had a couple of 36" x 16" x 30" tyres that would not move so a 9" grinder went through what rubber was left and then the steel band. We used an undersized steel band to sit the wheel and tyre on then the new tyre on top. One pressed on as the other dropped off. Sizes above are OD x W x ID. Our mobile presses worked at 150 ton onsite driven by an 8hp Honda with 2 stage hydraulic pumps inside a tank. It would move quite quickly up to 20 ton then slow down above that. Mobile presses were arse up, the ram up top pushing downwards. On dual walking beam axles and 1 tonner brakes all round. You would think it would be top heavy but no one around Australia or N.Z ever tipped one over and you know what fitters are like as drivers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, blastermike

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #234678 by blastermike
Replied by blastermike on topic 1915 packard chassis
Hi cobbadogIm not sure on the tonnage? This press came with a big 3 phase motor ontop of the powerpack, ive had a soft start up installed new wiring etc and the internal pumps overhauled with new internal hoses, I need to now have new hoses made up and new control valves from the powerpack to the press, as you can see this press has had the matching cast top plate removed and its been lowered a little, the ram presses the plate up so ive got some work to do yet with making up a top plate from a couple of 50mm pieces of plate i have, looking at the wear on the inside beams it only travels about 350mm upwards, this press was made in birmingham uk by Hollings and Guest, its become a project in itself !!, but its something i definately need as the majority of my trucks are on solids, a bit of a learning curve for me,Cheers mike
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by blastermike. Reason: Add picture
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #234711 by cobbadog
Our workshop press also had a 3 phase motor on top of the power pack and that sat next to the press frame. The ram sat in a hole beneath the frame and pressed upwards. We had a 37" opening so we could fit the widest tyres on in one go.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, blastermike

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #234868 by Morris
Blastermike,
Did you get the personal Message I sent you about a week ago. It was mostly about a book. You should have a message at top right of your screen stating you have a Personal Message.
Morris.

I'm gritting my teeth,

Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Morris.

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds