Skip to main content

Son's trailer

More
1 year 5 months ago #241946 by Vic Rhodes
Replied by Vic Rhodes on topic Son's trailer
www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/new...g%20the%20draw%2Dbar

Can my trailer get an exemption from being registered?
If you’ve got a light trailer (other than a trailer specifically built to carry a boat) it will be exempt from registration in Victoria if it:

weighs less (tare mass) than 200kg unladen
isn’t wider than the towing vehicle
is 3 metres or less in length, including the draw-bar
isn’t used for business.
You can still choose to register your trailer if it’s exempt from registration. If it’s exempt and not registered, it needs to show the same registration number as the towing vehicle or you can buy an exempt trailer plate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241955 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Son's trailer
Nice work on the trailer and that red oxide is great stuff to use.
I like the rego rules for free rego down there but that one will weigh more than 200kgs and is longer than 3 metres so it would need rego.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by cobbadog.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241963 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Son's trailer

Nice work on the trailer and that red oxide is great stuff to use.
I like the ro=ego rules for free rego down there but that one will weigh more than 200kgs and is longer than 3 metres so it would need rego.

The pictured trailer will be fine for exemption as most 6x4 trailers qualify. I have two here where the number plate involves a thick piece of chalk to put the rego on from the towing vehicle :)

Terry
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mairjimmy, PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago #241969 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Son's trailer
If you go into Vicroads and register the trailer I think you only pay for the number plate and it is free from then onwards if it is one that doesn't need to be registered

I did this years and years ago

Still dont get a bill, I used to get a bill with zero amount owing but it had the new rego lable

A lot pf people qrote the cars rego on the number plate braket with chalk when and just change it for what ever cqr is towing it

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mairjimmy, PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago #242010 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Son's trailer
The writing on the trailer in chalk is no longer legal - it's meant to be either an exempt trailer plate or a Vicroads provided (at your expense) copy of the vehicle's registration plate. Also if you put any sort of boat on an exempt trailer such as an inflatable raft, canoe or kayak it becomes a boat trailer. I have seen people pinged for it heading to the river up here. I don't know if they took it to court, or what any outcome was, but it would soon cost more than the $65 trailer registration.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #242011 by Vic Rhodes
Replied by Vic Rhodes on topic Son's trailer

The writing on the trailer in chalk is no longer legal - it's meant to be either an exempt trailer plate or a Vicroads provided (at your expense) copy of the vehicle's registration plate..

www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/num...lates/trailer-plates

If your light trailer is exempt from registration, you can purchase an Exempt Trailer Plate which is a duplicate of the registration number of the towing vehicle to enable easy identification of the vehicle.

If your light trailer is exempt from registration number plate of the towing vehicle must be clearly visible. The registration number of the towing vehicle can be painted or otherwise displayed on the rear of the towed vehicle so the number is clearly distinguishable from a distance of 20 metres.

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Vic Rhodes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago #242014 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Son's trailer
Under 200kg is going to be pretty flimsy......a lot of home builders have trouble getting their build under the 750kg limit for unbraked .....and thats empty.

More
1 year 5 months ago #242033 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Son's trailer
I know I'm in NSW and the laws are different, but a few years ago I had a situation regarding boat/box trailers. I had a boat trailer that I adapted an aluminium tray to fit on for when needed. I also had a slide on camper which I altered to roll on the keel rollers for weekends away.

One time I had the tray on and was pulled up by the Highway Patrol who claimed that I had the wrong rego on the trailer as it was registered as a boat trailer when in fact it was a box trailer. I pointed out the rollers and chine skids to prove it was a boat trailer. I said, "You can't put a box on a boat trailer", to which I asked if I could legally carry my small tinnie on a box trailer. He agreed that it would be legal and when I asked if that was ok, how come I couldn't put a box on a boat trailer, he said rude words, laughed and left in his big white chariot. I guess I won that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds