Skip to main content

wheel bearing adjustment

More
13 years 8 months ago #34706 by ianb
I have just had the front drums off my Bedford TK to fit new linings and would like some advice on how to adjust the wheel bearings and how much grease to put back into the hub. Any recomendations?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 8 months ago #34707 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: wheel bearing adjustment

IanB
GuddayM8

RE: how to adjust the wheel bearings and how much grease

A simple easy job th@ most take for granted
tiz easy to sho than explain
so I'll wimp out n just put up a link

LOL

www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4205243

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 8 months ago #34708 by ianb
Replied by ianb on topic Re: wheel bearing adjustment
Thanks Swishy. The process is the same for cars and trucks then?

More
13 years 8 months ago #34709 by greenie
Hi Ian, for loading the bearings with grease, just get a handful of grease in your left hand and with the bearing in your right hand, start to load up the bearing with grease, it's a bit hard to try and put too much grease into the bearing.
The general rule of thumb for trucks when tightening the axle nut was to nip it up tight, then back off one quarter turn, then lock down the tab washer so the nut goes nowhere. By backing it off a tad, this made sure that the bearing did not seize, after about half an hours drive, check to see if it's running hot, if it is hot then back it off a tad more.

If this info is incorrect, then Bigcam will soon correct it.

regards [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]greenie

More
13 years 8 months ago #34710 by atkipete
And the phone will ring when you are right in the middle of it. ;D ;D

More
13 years 8 months ago #34711 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: wheel bearing adjustment
and it's usually AtkitPete :D

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

13 years 8 months ago #34712 by
Replied by on topic Re: wheel bearing adjustment
That Popular Mechanics advice seems a little light on bearing adjustment advice. A bearing site will generally give you a lot better advice on correct adjustment of taper roller bearings.

Adjusting taper roller bearings properly is a pretty critical process. With taper roller bearings that operate under really heavy loads, you need to have some preload on the bearings.
This means tightening the nut until there is some "crush" on the bearings. On the likes of dozers, taper roller bearings often have very high preload.

This amount of preload is often measured by a string scale attached to the gear or wheel, with a set amount of string pull in pounds or kgs.

If taper roller bearings have any amount of looseness in them, the races and rollers hammer on each other, and bearing life is reduced.

With wheel bearings, you need to set the preload at a point where there is no movement in the bearing, but not enough preload to create binding and heavy resistance to turning.

The technique I use, is to tighten the adjusting nut fully, with the wheel turning, until the wheel bearings start to bind. When installing new bearings, it's important to do this, as it ensures the new races are fully seated in their bores.

Once the nut is done up tight, you then slacken off the nut until it aligns to the nearest cotter pin hole, and then recheck to see if the wheel turns freely.
If the wheel is still binding, or feels a little tight to turn, slacken off the nut to the next cotter pin hole.

Under no circumstances should you have any movement (looseness) in the bearings .. measured by grabbing the wheel, top and bottom, and rocking it back and forth vertically.

If there's any "clunking" when you rock the wheel, you need to tighten the adjusting nut until the clunking disappears. However, always ensure that the wheel turns freely after you've road-tested the vehicle after adjustment.
Even a small amount of binding or drag from wheel bearings can increase fuel consumption. However, poorly lubricated or loose wheel bearings are just as bad as tight bearings.

Not many people regularly check wheelbearings for adjustment or the proper amount of grease .. or even worse .. rust, caused by water ingress into bearings, usually by driving through deep water.

You only have to see the number of trailers parked by the roadside with a wheel and hub missing, and a damaged axle, to figure that wheel bearings are the most neglected part of road-going equipment.

More
13 years 8 months ago #34713 by ianb
Replied by ianb on topic Re: wheel bearing adjustment
Thanks for all the advice. I will complete the job this weekend.

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds