Skip to main content

1949 Dennis F1 Fire Truck Restoration

More
12 years 4 months ago #47063 by bigcam
Jeeze Bugly, you sure those clamps will handle the pressure?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #47064 by ianb
Hi Bugly

Can i suggest that when you are welding the dog to the crank handle you check where the handle will be in its rotation when the dog is engaged and the engine on compression. I would normally set it so that the crank handle was at the bottom (6 o'clock) and about to start the up-stroke. On the Dennis handle the position is adjustable because the crank handle is clamped to the end the dog shaft.

Cheers
ian

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #47065 by hayseed

Jeeze Bugly, you sure those clamps will handle the pressure?

Yeah Bugly, Think you better double clamp 'em,
Just to be on the safe side..........
;D ;D ;D :D :D ;D :D

PS; Bugly, pretty sure youdidn't have to go to the UK to get those hose bits..

Available here in Aust. www.spareco.com.au

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by hayseed.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #47066 by Bugly

Just looking at the radiator/fan positioning is it just me or is the fan /engine sitting low as the fan is below the bottom of the radiator.

Gidday SloSpeed

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Bugly.

More
12 years 4 months ago #47067 by ianb
Bugly

While on the topic, on the original the crank handle is not free to swing from side to side when it is not engaged. When the spring pushes the handle out of mesh with the crank it pushes it forward into another locking mechanism (I can't remember exactly what though).

Cheers
ian

More
12 years 4 months ago #47068 by Bugly
Thanks Ian - when I saw the photos of the crank handle that Steve sent through last August I realised that the Dennis crank handle was assembled from the rear through the crank handle housing, which was why it was clamped after assembly by the front handle. This then held all the throw-out gizmo's and springs 'n things together. The crank handle I make up for Dennis will be turned so that the whole shaft and dog fits through the housing under the radiator, so it can be withdrawn and stored in the tool locker after use.

More
12 years 2 months ago #47069 by Barrie1946
Hi guys.......I havnt visited the site for a while....hows the F1 coming on? Its the first outing of the year for NED on Sunday.....hope is does not rain !
I have been doing some research on the Dennis F1....it would seem that a total of 149 vehicles were built between 1945 and 1959 and all but 10 were exported.......out of the 10 for the UK market 3 including NED exist today......I have pics of the other two and will post later.

More
12 years 2 months ago #47070 by Bugly

I dunno how you're going to weld that crankhandle to the crankshaft dog. That handle is cast iron from memory. You might have to get some of my super-duper Magna cast iron rods!

Yep, the handle is cast iron. When I fix the shaft to the handle, I will drill it and use a roll pin. That

More
12 years 2 months ago #47071 by Andy van
Fantastic!! Any more updates lately?

More
12 years 1 month ago #47072 by Bugly
I have finished building the crank handle

Time to create page: 0.598 seconds