Skip to main content

1949 Dennis F1 Fire Truck Restoration

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #46963 by Swishy

Bugly
Gudday M8

With any wire n U need to save this n off, n print out, n nail up on the shed wall

img37.imageshack.us/img37/8743/lucaspod.jpg

there twaz a recent article L8ly about find n shortz in wire n, n how to length n m
LOL

A good color scheme

No worriez use n too biggr fuze as it B on a friartruck
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Swishy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #46964 by Bugly
Thanks for all the advice on the Lucas Replacement Smoke ... I've now got Swishy's certficate hanging in the workshop! ::)

Dennis was originally a Darwin fire truck, but later was transferred to Alice Springs. With the colder climate in Alice, a sump oil heater was installed through the side of the sump, which had obviously leaked a bit of oil over time. This was a 240V thingy which was wired to a plug at the rear of the truck, which was in turn plugged into the power outlet at the fire station.

Recently I have been cleaning down the engine, and painting it up with Killrust Epoxy Gloss Enamel in

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
13 years 1 month ago #46965 by Beaver
A heater in the sump ?? :-?

Just how cold does it get in Alice ?? ::)

Or did they use bitumen for lubrication. :P :D

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
13 years 1 month ago #46966 by mammoth
The motor stays plugged in at the station so when a call comes it is already up to running temperature and can go flat chat (for a Dennis) straight away.

More
13 years 1 month ago #46967 by Beaver
They normally do that by having a heater in the cooling system (which keeps the whole block warm), not in the sump.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
13 years 1 month ago #46968 by Bugly
This one might have been on special! ;D

13 years 1 month ago #46969 by
Beaver - Don't worry, Alice Springs, like all inland places, can get bitterly cold. On the 12th July 1976, Alice Springs recorded a temperature of -7.5C

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #46970 by Bugly
I scrubbed up the sump today, and removed the oil heater to check the sealing of the heater pipework. Once removed, it didn

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #46971 by Beaver

(are you out there Beaver?)

Yes I am here Lou.

There are timing marks on the magneto coupling, I think I can see them in the close up shot. There should be a single mark on the flywheel side. Just put a couple of blobs of white paint on each side and match them up later.

Normally a magneto drive has a vernier coupling in between those two, it has 20 teeth on one side and 19 on the other. But you wouldn't get the match if it was needed in your case.

Retiming the maggy is the same as retiming the dissy, take off the end caps and set the breaker (small cap) to open at TDC #1 with the rotor (big cap) pointing to the No 1 cyl connection.

Not sure about the Light 4, but the Ace has a centrifugal advance device inside the flywheel housing, it drives off the camshaft gear.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #46972 by Bugly
Thanks Beaver, much appreciated. Tomorrows task then! ;)

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds