Skip to main content

AT4 and D5N trucks

More
12 years 5 months ago #67823 by original hillbilly
We have just purchased two dodge trucks. One is a 1966 and the other is a 1974. I am wanting to know the difference between an AT4 and a D5N. Is it the front and year? :-?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #67824 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: AT4 and D5N trucks
There are a few differences depending on the model, on the larger ones, the AT4 has a tapered chassis, and the D5N a parrallel chassis is one difference. Door handles and dash as well.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by bigcam.

12 years 5 months ago #67825 by
Replied by on topic Re: AT4 and D5N trucks
OH - The AT4 was built from 1962 to 1971 and featured 4 horizontal 5

More
12 years 5 months ago #67826 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: AT4 and D5N trucks
D5N supposedly has different springs as well .. also different dash board(gauges) pretty much the hemi 245 is mostly found in the smaller D5Ns where the AT4 had the leaning tower of power (the slant 6cyl) also chrysler introduced electronic ign around 74-75? for their range of petrol engines not to mention the introduction of the detroit/GM V6 diesel engine option

More
12 years 5 months ago #67827 by bigcam
Sorry Kenny, GM 6V53 came out in the AT4's, the last of them anyway.

D5N supposedly has different springs as well .. also different dash board(gauges) pretty much the hemi 245 is mostly found in the smaller D5Ns where the AT4 had the leaning tower of power (the slant 6cyl) also chrysler introduced electronic ign around 74-75? for their range of petrol engines not to mention the introduction of the detroit/GM V6 diesel engine option

More
12 years 5 months ago #67828 by bigcam
Here's a couple of AT4 brosure's, I think Interstater has the D5N brosure.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67829 by Hardtopman
Replied by Hardtopman on topic Re: AT4 and D5N trucks
Early larger D5N's got the tapered AT4 chassis rails along with the Cummings and also the push button door handles and then the last of the AT4's got the hemi 6 and detroit. Any D5N with wide front axle or flush door handles is a later truck. The smaller trucks used the same chassis/springs all the way through but early in the D5N they went to a different spring set up. Also the early Detroit trucks have the bonnet scoop and then the later ones don't seam to. I have not seen a detroit truck with the wide axle/flush door handles and bonnet scoop.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #67830 by bigcam
HTM, the bonnet scoop only ever hid where they had cut the bonnet and bent it up a bit where the air cleaner goes, a mate of mine in Bundy has one like that, and the motor in his sits about 2" further forward than mine as well, his is the narrow axle. The ones without the scoop must have the motor mounted a little bit lower in the chassis. Mine has the cab and gaurds raised 35mm to give it clearence under the bonnet.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by bigcam.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67831 by Hardtopman
Replied by Hardtopman on topic Re: AT4 and D5N trucks
Thats it and would make this truck a later one, wide axle flush door handles and no scoop.

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds