Skip to main content

1937 Dodge ute for sale

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159227 by Desotodav
I was asked by my car club to have a look at a 1937 Dodge ute for a young girl a couple of weeks ago as she has decided that it is time to sell the ute. The ute is mostly complete with just a bit of finishing off work to be done. Some of the things which need doing are: seat is missing, no exhaust on truck, wiring tidy up, and rear bed finishing.
She is asking around $9k for the ute, and I'm sure that you will agree that it is reasonably priced when you see the photos. I would be happy to pass on the owner's details via email or message if you are interested in this ute.

Desotodav

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by hayseed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159228 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Re: 1937 Dodge ute for sale
What a ripper but my shed is full still

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
8 years 11 months ago #159229 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Re: 1937 Dodge ute for sale
I love it to and my shed is full also

More
8 years 11 months ago #159230 by fargofan
Is it a genuine factory ute or a cut down sedan? :)

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159231 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: 1937 Dodge ute for sale
I reckon it is a genuine ute but the front does come off the car. All those Dodges had the roof cut about 4 inches rear of the screen and the ute cab and doors were grafted to that.

The military ones and many civilian trucks had the join weld exposed but most of the light utes had the weld line lead filled to make it a smooth roof line like this one.

Other makes also used this system and also have a seam across the roof just back from the windscreen.

Lang
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159232 by fargofan
Thanks Lang - I am certainly interested in seeing it in the flesh! :)

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159233 by Desotodav
I have forwarded contact details on to those who requested them. The ute is at Browns Plains QLD.

I was told that the timber bed of the truck was rebuilt using the original fittings. It does need a seat and an exhaust, but otherwise looks like it is all there. I forgot to mention that it also comes with a few spare parts.

Sure will be good to see this one registered and back on the road again!
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Desotodav.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159234 by Rob W
Replied by Rob W on topic Re: 1937 Dodge ute for sale
These commercials had very little in common with the passenger sedans. May be the grill, mascot & the bonnet the rest of the vehicle no. The guards are different, cabin, dash, doors glass and chassis. Motors were a little different to those used in the sedans, engine no's started with a "T" & not a "D", "DP" or "P" I think.

I think they were rated as a 3/4 ton? vehicle. There were coupe utilities built in this style of vehicle along with panel vans, ambulances & even side loader buses. This particular vehicle, I think, may have been refered to as a "Well Type"? I stand to be corrected. They were badged under Dodge & Fargo model names.

These were built by TJ Richards for CDDP (Chrysler DeSoto Dodge Plymouth) Australian Distributors, Agents etc. The arrangements varied from state to state.

However TJR did build some coupe utilities on the Dodge, Plymouth & DeSoto passenger car chassis, these are very rare. With the Plymouths more numerous then Dodges with DeSoto very uncommon.

This mainly occured from about 1935 to 1940/1. I have seen a '32 Dodge Ute many years ago in Cooma that was built by TJR and a photo of a '33 which was claimed to be a factory job.

From about 1942 all utes were generally manufactured for the military forces. Mainly Plymouths & Dodges.

I own a 1937 D6S Dodge Sedan (basic model) and when it's parked next to one of these commercial units you can really nbotice the many differences.

Regards

Rob W

Dodge AT4-7D Series Model 775, 1971 VH Valiant Ute,

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159235 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: 1937 Dodge ute for sale
Rob

Not sure this type of body was "well type"

GMH in their advertising called their styleside utes Coupe Utility (both the car based one and the heavier 15cwt light truck) When they put the extra wooden "seats" on those stylesides they advertised them as Wellside. I think Chrysler and Ford did similar.

Utes with wooden trays were tray-back or cab-chassis-ute. Then again maybe the addition of the "seats" made everything a well back/well side?

I was under the impression Wellside or Wellback was the Australian term generally used to name the type that Americans call Styleside to differentiate from their box and bulging mudguard Stepside style. It is certainly the term used by the ute makers today to differentiate between a tray back and a pressed steel body though you often see the American Styleside slipped in.

I don't think whatever it is called is worth forming a committee to investigate and whatever someone chooses to call their ute (at least that is constant) good on them.

Here is a photo of my 1945 Chev ute. Without the "seats" it was sold as a Coupe Utility but with the "seats" like mine it sold as Wellside Utility"

[IMG

Lang

Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
7 years 10 months ago #171468 by everreadyal
Replied by everreadyal on topic 1937 Dodge ute for sale
My email is mandpelectrical@bigpond.com is the 37 Dodge still for sale if so can you put me in contact with the owner?

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds