Skip to main content

Army Semi Trailer Wanted

More
5 years 7 months ago #196088 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Army Semi Trailer Wanted
Well, I have bitten the bullet andbought an International too good to lose. It is certainly not the perfect truck for the job and I am very loathe to cut the cab to create the military lookalike. I have plenty of time to keep looking for a K or KB6 so will just bring this old girl home hoping not to have to paint it green. Will swap or trade it for a K, KS, KB, KBS, 6 or 7

Very nice running KBS5 (two-speed diff) with checker plate tipping tray. No rust or damage. 233 cu in flathead Green Diamond engine.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #196089 by Lang
You learn something new every day. The answer given to Pierre on why the army semi-trailers are round was incomplete.

I just bought the McGrath and Freighter story book from the Victorian truck club (Freighters were created solely to take over the business and assets of McGrath Trailers - with several McGrath people joining the new board in 1946. They operated both brands for many years)

The law said - maybe still does - that the most a trailer in a jack-knife position could hang out was 6 feet from the centre of the prime mover so they did not clean up cars, light poles etc when swinging around a tight corner.

The attached chart gives the huge turntable position advantages of cutting off corners or even full round over square under this law. Having more tray forward of the turntable with those early single axle trailers meant you could spread your load evenly rather than having to get weight forward to bring the drive axle up to full weight. It was even more important when they brought in bogie drive prime movers.

Lang

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
5 years 7 months ago #196118 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Army Semi Trailer Wanted
A nice tidy Inter Lang. Ya gotta love them in their army drab though!
Thanks for the further update on the round nose trailers.Had a feeling it was something to do with that.
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
5 years 2 months ago #199068 by Lang
Finally got my trailer home.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, craig308, dno, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Southbound

More
4 years 11 months ago #200611 by dodgeguy1942
Not a semi but there is an ex army tank transport trailer near orange nsw

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds