Skip to main content

WTB: Dodge AT4 dropside tipper

More
9 months 1 week ago #247122 by lemmiwinks
Thanks for that Paul, the link did work. What a cracker! FB marketplace never show me anything from Victoria, probably because I'm really far away. I do get some QLD and Brisbane though.

Was going to look at a dunger in Brisbane next Friday but I'd rather concentrate on the HD just down the road now :cheer:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #247141 by KelOz
louies suffer a bit from termites to but the brakes would make my mind up for me and on gas is a money saver, a lot nicer veiw from the pilots seat too
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
9 months 1 week ago #247142 by Mrsmackpaul
Everything from that came with rust off the production line as standard

I reckon the Loui will steer a lot lot better than a Dodge
Dodge trucks of the era are like sailing a yacht, you sort of tack down the road, you do a lot of miles on the steering wheel keeping it straight

The castor anglewas very straight up and down to make them lighter on steering when traveling slow

People have put wedges in between the axle to tilt it back and then fitted power steering to make it drivable at low speed

The Loui is already all done in this department and more

Then you have air brakes instead of hydraulic

For my money the Loui is at the begining of a more modern era and the Dodge and Inters were definitely at the very end of a era from the 50s

Not saying the Dodges ade no good, but if you have never driven one at speed and parked it and driven in heavy traffic I would contact a club and see if you can find a club member that has something like you want and see if they will let you take it for a drive

I cost virtually nothing to try and it will give you a good idea of what to expect

Most people buy old trucks and soon realize just how slow they are, then try and gear them up but find they are so underpowered that they won't hold 100kmh in a head wind or up a gentle rise
So more powet, then more brakes

Not trying to rain on your parade, just if your not used to these old bangers you might be in for a shock

Happy hunting

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, lemmiwinks

More
9 months 1 week ago #247143 by lemmiwinks
All good info and advice, thanks Paul. Keep in mind though, I'm not buying this to be sensible, just to scratch the "I must own a V8" itch. If I was a smart man, I'd be looking at a newish diesel. Old Dodge V8 is just for fun, to be driven occasionally when I want to make some noise and maybe there's a bit of work for it. Managed to sneak approval past the boss by overstating the utility of a tipper ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
9 months 1 week ago #247145 by JOHN.K.
I can say for sure that 361 Dodges aint slow !...........that D2F of mine,put 50 gallons of petrol in the tank,and you can drive a truck at 75mph for a while...........well ,you could once.

More
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #247150 by overnite
I drove a 5 series AT4 with a 361 and 5 speed 2 speed for a while on overnight, certainly not slow, and I never thought the steering would be regarded as heavy, thought comfort was ok, but then again I was a lot younger. Then I got into the ghosts, and then found out what fast was, but certainly not comfortable or good on the steering, although it improved a bit with shurguides.
Last edit: 9 months 1 week ago by overnite.

More
9 months 1 week ago #247151 by JOHN.K.
Back in the day ,the 361 Dodge was reckoned to be the best of all the V8 petrol truck motors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overnite, PaulFH, lemmiwinks

More
9 months 1 week ago #247186 by hayseed
Here you go lemmiwinks..........

www.facebook.com/groups/farm.machinery.b...sts/3229262840706713

this one Ticks most of your Boxes ...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: lemmiwinks

More
9 months 1 week ago #247199 by lemmiwinks
Ta mate. I refuse to join faceborg groups (yeah, maybe cutting my nose off to spite my face) so that one will have to remain a mystery.

Really holding out for the 318HD just down the road a bit. Will be 100% worth the wait it if a deal can be struck.

More
9 months 1 week ago #247200 by hayseed
For your Eyes Only.....LOL

Only a six pack.. $10,000 at Euston..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, lemmiwinks

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds