Skip to main content

864 V8 MACK ENGINE

More
12 years 1 month ago #78276 by L.THORLEY
864 V8 MACK ENGINE was created by L.THORLEY
WANTED: Any 864 parts or complete engine :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #78277 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Re: 864 V8 MACK ENGINE
Do You mind me asking what kind of Mack you have?

More
12 years 1 month ago #78278 by THE HAPPY WRECKER
What parts are you after?
:)

12 years 1 month ago #78279 by
Replied by on topic Re: 864 V8 MACK ENGINE
g'day happy wrecker .. can you show us the old logo ?

that was a good old gleemans thing ....cheers

More
12 years 1 month ago #78280 by L.THORLEY
Replied by L.THORLEY on topic Re: 864 V8 MACK ENGINE
G'day Gents to answer a couple of your questions, Phoenix, i have at present a 66 model b615 body truck that i am looking to restore . It has spent most of its life out around the gulf country in queensland. Happy Wrecker,I am interested in any bits and peices really , however whats really holding me up at the moment is i need a aussie configured bell housing for a 864 Engine .

More
12 years 1 month ago #78281 by ducky698
Replied by ducky698 on topic Re: 864 V8 MACK ENGINE
Hi, I have a 20 spd spicer for sale with a Mack bell housing for $3000 its out of a 69 flintstone.

may have an 866 up for sale suit rebuild to?

Grant

More
12 years 1 month ago #78282 by L.THORLEY
gday ducky 698,
thanks for that mate, now for the annoying questions on the orintation and demensions of the bell housing etc :( where the starter motor goes is it on the left hand side as you are looking at the rear of it ???. as i have to fit this into a b615 and if is on the rhs it fowls on the steering box etc...i have a yanky 864 engine that has the starter on the right hand side as you are looking at the rear of the engine and i have learnt in the last couple of weeks that the aussie b 615s came out with it on the left hand side thus requiring an aussie configured bell housing. so i reckon if that is all good than it would suit me down to the ground :) thanks ducky
having said all that if anyone else has an answer to my problems other than the usual :-? why are you bothering with a 864 just put something else in it :-?, no one will know :o :'( i would be most greatful.

More
12 years 1 month ago #78283 by ducky698
Hi, isnt the 864/865/866 same engine family? if so the bell housing is part of the engine and not the gear box, its known as a flywheel housing. this is where the starter motor mounts. the gearbox has the notal mount on it, this comes in 2 different sizes and Mack uses the larger size and the engine mounts are attached to it.

I get the same response with the 866, why are you using that hunk of poop? well the only dramas you are going to have is finding parts for the 864, cyl heads are no probs, any reasonable head shop will be able to sort them out. the pistons and liners, well good luck. lines are not around, I have looked into getting the 866 ones custom made.

what are your plans for the truck? work or hobby?

Grant

More
12 years 1 month ago #78284 by L.THORLEY
g'day grant,
yes mate as far as i know the they are all the same family,
and as you have pointed out the flywheel housing is part of the engine and that is the part that i am chasing not the bell housing as i have stated in previous posts :-[ sorry for the confusion.
any how the engine that i got in from the states is in great order all bar the the incorrect orintation of the FLYWHEEL HOUSING.
as for the plans for the old girl i intend on rebuilding it as a hobby horse only not a work horse.
one of these days i will post a couple of pics. :)

linc

More
12 years 1 month ago #78285 by ducky698
Hi, the 866 has starter motor on the drivers side. I would be surprised if there was an aussie designed one for other side. if there is one out there a guy in sydney may know where there is one. will get his number tomorrow when at unit. the gearbox is here if you want it. its a 1420-3A spicer, single over drive with correct Mack notal mount/bell housing with engine mounts brackets.

Grant

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds