Skip to main content

Perkins 6354 exhaust brakes

More
10 years 9 months ago #121537 by wedgetail84
Did any trucks with the 6354 ever come with exhaust brakes? Does the engine mind them or are they inadvisable, like they have weak exhaust valve springs or something? Would there be any harm in fitting them to an Inter C1800?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121538 by hayseed
Mate, I wouldn't bother...

Just wind the Window down & hold your Hat out the Window...
It'll have the same effect...... :D :D

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
10 years 9 months ago #121539 by waynestr
Or put your foot on the throttle.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121540 by wedgetail84
not enough compression to bother eh? But will is there a risk of damage if I do?

More
10 years 9 months ago #121541 by olddon
I drove an ex coalie Dodge with a SGV (I think) exhaust brake for a while,and it really didn't seem to make much difference to your downhill momentum,if you were doing more than about 10 mph.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121542 by steveb
40 to 50 years ago ,compression reduction braking was vertually unknown.Most of the Dodge/Inters on logging had an electric magnetic brake fitted on the tailshaft.
This was a big cumbersome unit fitted just behind the cab.
Have not seen one around for years.
Some other viewers may have more knowledge on this than myself.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121543 by bigcam
Steve, those electric retarders, we put tilt trays on 2 Tatra 8X8's recently and they both had those Telma electric retarders hanging off the back diff.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121544 by sailorV
In regard to the efficiency of exhaust brakes on Perkins 6.354,I beg to differ. I drove the "Blue" coal trucks at Narellan from 1965 to 1970.Every truck in the fleet (and there were 250) was fitted with an SGV exhaust brake,manually activated with a lever along side the gearshift,even the petrol motors.
Clutha had 85 of AA180 Inters with the Black Diamond petrol motor.When these wore out they were retrofitted with Perkins. They were a body truck tipper,single drive with a Transpec lazy,a No.3 Eaton,electric 2 speed shift and a 5 speed gearbox.
The Inters were eventually replaced with Leyland Comets,single drive PM with a single axle aluminium trailer.The rigid Inters could carry 12 tons legal but the Comets would haul 15 tons!
Bear in mind the key to making an exhaust brake efficient is to keep the manifold nuts nipped up and inspecting and replacing the gaskets when necessary.
The exhaust brake does make a difference!If you are used to three stage Jacobs brakes then you wouldn't think them much chop.I think over a trucks lifespan they would have contributed to the savings of a few dollars in brake linings.
Clutha bought out a rival firm from Camden called Clintons and they had mainly petrol powered Bedfords and a couple of Inter single drive prime movers fitted with 160 Cummins pulling steel bogie trailers.I got the chance to drive these a few times and they were fitted with Telma electric retarders.They were situated around the tailshaft behind the gearbox (although they can be fitted in front of the diff.).They required a second set of batteries as they drew a lot of current in use..They are silent to use and have a five stage switch,just flick it on and you can go down the steepest hill in top gear and hardly have to touch the service brakes at all.
Why are they not in use in general haulage? They are very heavy and hideously expensive but absolutely unbeatable.Used mainly in logging type operation but I have seen them used on some passenger coaches that operate in hilly country.
Just my two cents.
Cheers,
sailorV
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by sailorV.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121545 by wedgetail84
OK so it's worth considering... I was thinking a floor switch like on the Volvo N12 at work so I don't have to worry about micro switches for the clutch and accelerator

More
10 years 9 months ago #121546 by bigcam
Actually might be easier using the micro switch's, Narva have them and they aren't expensive, they come with the little spring looking doo dad as the on/off lever.

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds