Skip to main content

C line steering box Qs

More
9 years 10 months ago #143988 by philip
Replied by philip on topic Re: C line steering box Qs
Just drain it and pump it full of grease and it will be fine.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143989 by dieseldog
Just wondering, if there is no seal topside, what keeps the water out?

More
9 years 10 months ago #143990 by rb057
Replied by rb057 on topic Re: C line steering box Qs
HI Dieseldog,

The upper housing has a boss approx 1.5" long that the steering column tube slips over and clamps to. So in theory you probably need to be in water upto about the horn button on the steering wheel, so the water can then run down the steering column tube. Of course it is only a slip over and clamp fit which probably will/could let some water in.

Probably shouldn't be driving through water to the steering box depth as this will be higher than at least the diff(s) as their breathers are only on the axle tubes. I don't think they were ever intended to do deep water crossings. I know our AB120 had done some creek crossings before I purchased it and I found water/oil mix in the front hubs and front diff...

Regards
Roger

AB120 4x4

More
9 years 10 months ago #143991 by dieseldog
Hey wedge, that oil isn't coming from that hose is it? Could the drips be blowing onto the steering box? There just seems to be more oil there than what would leak out, unless your continually topping it up.

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #143992 by
Replied by on topic Re: C line steering box Qs

Could it be too much play in the steering box..........ie..........the gears/worms etc coming in and out or mesh and either frothing up or squirting the oil out of the top of the box.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143993 by wedgetail84
thanks for all the replies. Hope it's not too much play - don't think so as there's not THAT much free wobble at the steering wheel. That hose is the main fuel line, and is one of the few areas where fluid doesn't escape from... However thinking outside thee box a bit, the oiliness is fairly firm, so isn't that fresh. I guess it could've happened before and isn't currently leaking. Definitely gotta clean properly to see what appears.

Grease rather than oil sure would be a nice easy way out, might try the grease/oil mix first. Memory might be failing me right now but I didn't think it even had shocks on the front (let alone rear).

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds