May B Dave can add sum words

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149736 by Dave_64
Swishy, thanks for putting these up!

The old memory is not as good as it used to be, perhaps some eagle eye can fill in a few gaps.

First photo of the R model and Allis HD41 was taken mid to late 70's at the "Birdcage" just out of Darlington Point on the Sturt H'way. I'm sure the driver, or maybe it was the driver of the pilot vehicle, told me that they were on their way to Olympic Dam in S.A. and had to use the Hume/Sturt H'ways because at the time they weren't allowed to go via Mt Victoria. It was (I was told) a new 285 HP "Cool Power" with a 5 speed Maxitorque box and a 4 speed Spicer Joey. A good load at the time. Must have had a pusher axle in front of the drive. Whose it was or where it came from, I simply do not know.

The Brambles R model was (also from memory) the first of the long bonnetted versions to sport the 400 Cummins, Allison slosh box and also a Spicer Auxilliary. The photo was taken at Camellia, behind Rosehill Racecourse. Mate of mine said that Brambles moved the D10 from the docks (also believe it was the first 10 to arrive in OZ) because T.J. Clarke's ( used to contract to Waugh & Josephson, Cat dealer at Alexandria) big float was unavailable on the day.

As I said, best part of 35-40 years ago now, perhaps someone with better knowledge (or a better memory) can fill in a few more gaps.

The old 1964 Pete was one I rebuilt in the mid 70's and is now nestled comfortably in the Detectives 'museum'. No Phil, haven't forgotten! I am still going to call in one day, just for old times sake!

Cheers, Dave 64

More
9 years 6 months ago #149737 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Sum Happy Snaps from Dave 64
Nice photos Dave, looks like the pusher is raised in the first photo.

Trust me

More
9 years 6 months ago #149738 by Dave_64
Hi BK,
Yes, interesting the pusher being in the air! Could be a simple explanation though, that photo I took reasonably early in the day, so I would hazard a guess and say if the p/mover lost a bit of air overnight, the pusher would lift as any that I had anything to do with, needed pressure to keep them on the ground.

It would be also interesting to know the weights of the two different loads, HD41 VS Cat D10. If you look at the blue float, has a tri drive and dual row of eights, then four axles on the float.

Brambles truck has bogie drive, TWO dual dollies (2 rows of eight each)and the same 4 axles on the float. Both were inside NSW, both roughly the same era, both SHOULD have been loaded legally, so maybe it is simply the difference in the weights of the two loads. Maybe someone can correct me here, but I seem to remember on a normal highway axle loading, you could have up to 16 ton on a bogie axle group, with a max of 36 gross. Again, and I don't mind being corrected, it wasn't until the tri-axle trailers were being phased in that the DMR let you gross 38 ton. Somebody will remember, if you ran closed bogie trailers you were not allowed the same axle group rating as you would if you were running a 9'1" spread??

As Swishy would have said, "but what would I know? I do stand to be corrected!"

Cheers, Dave 64

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds