Skip to main content

Isuzu sbr

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157730 by Hamster185
Isuzu sbr was created by Hamster185
Hi guys. I'm new to this site and trucks. Have just bought a 1984 Isuzu SBR422 with a 5.4 litre 6bb non turbo engine with a horse box on the back. I have been surfing around for info on these trucks but I can't find too much out there. The old girl has been well looked after and even has the original manual in the glovebox and drives well. Does anyone know anything about old isuzus with respect to reliability, maintenance issues, things to look out for etc? Any pointers for this greenhorn would be appreciated, thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157731 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Isuzu sbr
Mate the only things that stop them is rust ... I used to work on them when they were new ... They were good performers in their day .. Now needless to say they may be a tad slow but who cares it will get the job done .. Really the main thing to check maybe the pins & bushes as being a horse truck it may have done many kms on rough roads
Cheers ken

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157732 by Hamster185
Replied by Hamster185 on topic Re: Isuzu sbr
Ok thanks will check them. Yep she struggles a bit on the hills but I just love driving it!

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157733 by Wilweld
Replied by Wilweld on topic Re: Isuzu sbr
SBR's are as tough as old boots. A bit rough, slow, and prone to rust, but tough.

6bb1s are a bloody good little motor- you just have to take into account being only 140 hp new. Being a relatively short stroke they don't like to be lugged down low in the rev range on long pulls (can grab pistons) but will sit on the governors all day. Mine in the F350 was quite happy with an overdrive box to cruise at 120 at about 2800 on the freeway. :) A mate used to push his dual cab SBR to 140, and wound the governors out from 3100 to 3200 to achieve this ;D

Grant.

'79 F100- 302c 4spd&&'81 F350- Isuzu 6BB1&&Chamberlain Industrial MK11  (6G)

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157734 by Hamster185
Replied by Hamster185 on topic Re: Isuzu sbr
Great, thanks for the feedback, certainly eases my mind to think I've picked a solid truck. It has a 5 speed box with 1st being a crawler gear so 4th tops out at abt 95 clicks at 2750 revs which it seems happy to chug along at all day. So all seems to be in order. Thanks again.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157735 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Isuzu sbr
Don't be told that you put a turbo there are lots of things different on turbo engines

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds