Skip to main content

QUESTION TIME

More
4 years 11 months ago #200927 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic QUESTION TIME

Southbound wrote: Why did Detroit 4 stroke engines become unpopular?

OK, so most people spec Cat or Cummins engines (in real trucks), well they did before Cat stopped supplying engines to road trucks. I drove an Argosy for a year with a 60 series and it was a good thing. Does anybody have any tales to tell about Detroit modern engines? Good or bad??

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200928 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic QUESTION TIME
We had a Series 60 in an LTS 9000 and it was a very good engine. Had done 1.25 million kms when we sold the truck about 8 years ago (and it's still going), didn't use oil, didn't smoke, was good on fuel, and was an easy engine to drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
4 years 11 months ago #200931 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic QUESTION TIME
I've often pondered this very question.
In the past, oil companies have swallowed up and stifled any new development in engine design, so how come they have let intercooling, common rail injection and other advances go. I would have thought they would be promoting screamers to ensure a guarenteed ongoing market for their fuel and oil.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200933 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic QUESTION TIME
Possibly a combo of the 1970's oil crises and a bunch of green senators weilding a club of emissions, throw in toughening Euro 4 and 5 limitations and suddenly the oil companies are getting the message.
Their still on a good thing, no matter how you look at it.
If oil consumption had halved due to more efficient engines, the number of vehicles being produced would have doubled in the past 30-40 years anyway.
What we don't know, or probably never will, is the sweetheart deals between oil producing nations and the Western economies.
Funny thing, look at the amount of oil that was produced in the US just last century alone. What happened to it?
Squandered, big gas guzzling autos with dirt cheap cost per gallon, never mind if we run out, we'll just go and invade some other poor country.
Ah, why bother. Politics was never my long suit.
Dave

More
4 years 11 months ago #200935 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic QUESTION TIME
i believe there are no 60s because Daimler Benz suspended sales of engines to other makers /competitors.after an emissions case in the US where DB blamed the truck builder for the result......anyway ,thats their story...net results......Cummins or nothing.........Kenworth are using a corporate motor...a DAF in fact.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200936 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic QUESTION TIME

wee-allis wrote: I've often pondered this very question.
In the past, oil companies have swallowed up and stifled any new development in engine design, so how come they have let intercooling, common rail injection and other advances go. I would have thought they would be promoting screamers to ensure a guarenteed ongoing market for their fuel and oil.

I say that's a conspiracy theory, the amount of fuel used in road vehicles is insignificant compared to mining, power generation or aircraft and sea transport.
I work for a mob who traditionally used American drivelines of 550hp, all three brands, before the latest upgrade to European. The Cummins are standing up better, at high mileage, than the Detroit or Cat.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200941 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic QUESTION TIME
O'k. I'll get my tongue out of my cheek now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

More
4 years 11 months ago #201123 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic QUESTION TIME
Question ###
Has any one considered setting up a good set of electric thermo fans automatically operated for cooling
Eg something like modern cars now run and are able to move large amounts of air and keep modern cars with small a radiadtors
running lots of cool ??????

More
4 years 11 months ago #201129 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic QUESTION TIME
Geoffb,
On what are you looking at?
I run a set of Falcon fans on the F350 with a dual pass cross flow radiator to keep the Cummins cool.
Hi/Lo thermal switches along with Hi/lo manual switches.

Saw a nice hydraulic fan assembly off a Lexus on another site this morning, would be another good option. Just need to find out how much flow and pressure is required, maybe a power steering pump would do.
Cheers Steve

More
4 years 11 months ago #201133 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic QUESTION TIME
Don't bother with the Lexus hydro fan.

Too hard to fit a pump and then cool it.

The fan has it's own ECU to control it.

I use AU Falcon units on two of my vehicles with great results

Time to create page: 0.606 seconds