2 years 11 months ago #222546 by Lang
Dave

Try this one.

Lang

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, mikeg, PaulFH, Tassie Dan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #222547 by jon_d
I would go the way of making the section separate of the guard. Profile it and curve it on the bench.

Then you can walk up to the guard and rest it against it to see the shape and fit.

When right, trim the guard and notch it. And then weld in the section already made and bog the line. (or even lead sweat if they still do that.)

Something like this does the little fold/notch to make a flush joint.
www.tradetools.com/renegade-industrial-a...flange-tool-rizk9201

More
2 years 11 months ago #222548 by Dave_64
Blokes make it look easy when you have a pinch roller at your disposal, bit hard trying to feed a complete cabin through one though, when the guards have already been welded on (previous owner!). Still, a few ideas on how to insert a beading, like Mrs. said.
I have one of those air operated punch affairs, alright on flat larger areas, try doing it on a small diameter hole , not so good. Great for putting a step in for say doing outer door skins etc. Thanks, Dave_64

More
2 years 10 months ago #222565 by mikeg
Watch the vid that Lang put up that's the proper way. Wiring an edge is not as difficult as you might think, all that is need is patience and a little bit at a time, a couple of decent dollys, a planishing hammer and some vice grips to hold the wire in place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 10 months ago #222573 by cobbadog
Dade showed me year ago how to do a wired edge but he had a swaging machine to turn an edge to start with then finish with hammer and dolly with the wire.
Over the years I have watched Ian Rowsell on Full Custom Workshop and he has often simply welded a solid rod to the raw edge of the guard. Depending on the look you want anything from 1/4" - 3/8" looks great and is easy to shape by hand as you, or your mate, tacks it in place. Then a few runs and finish off with filler.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds