Skip to main content

ET, connecting the bolts to the wires

More
1 year 8 months ago #239146 by Mrsmackpaul
Yep, Macks are made for men, real men that laugh at pain and treat comfort as a sign of weakness

So back to your truck choice, if it was me and clearly it isnt, and dealing with the restrictions you have

I think it rules out any hairy chested Yanky job

If you want comfort in a cab over you will need to have European

So Benz, Scania, Volvo and the like are about it
All available in a day cab, all can handle the weight your talking about and all are built for comfort as well as power

Except for I think they call the C model Kenworth or Langs style of Mack midliner

Both are European based

Oh hang on Fiat and Iveco

Thats my take on it, the rest is easily done

Wouldnt worry about spares to much as pretty much everything is pretty easy to get via Google

This is definitely a dooable exercise, and I for one am right behind anyone trying something different

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #239149 by werkhorse
ED ....

Check out Edison Motors in Canada ... They have done a Kenworth L900 electric truck ...

www.edisonmotors.ca

Might give you a few pointers on what to do .. or which way to head with it

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElectricDreams

More
1 year 8 months ago #239150 by roKWiz
Was thinking an old L700 series Kenworth would make a great EV project. Low forward position cab.
If cost is no option, I would go with the Meritor Electric drive rear axles which would save space forward for direct connection of the battery banks.

www.meritor.com/en/products/ePowertrains/17Xe

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElectricDreams

More
1 year 8 months ago #239158 by ElectricDreams
Thanks guy this the exact type of feedback I am looking for. I will still ask dumb questions though as I try and piece it together and make sense of what's possible. And I apologise if I missed you, still getting the feel of how the forum pages configure.

It might still be all over the edge and down the mountain side form the lights on the hill blinding me lol. But yes I need to find out what the installation weighs. Furthermore I have noticed the battery mob have only done bonneted trucks. One has the battery on the side where a fuel tank would go, big as and quite ordinary looking. The other is under the bonnet. Also hope they are thinking about my request as I have not heard from them, and some sole trader may be of no interest to them. However I'd argue they need as many ET's on the road as possible to promote their idea, because generally I don't find much support for it 2022.

My current set up is trailer unladed is 7.2T, load is 27.3T, tractor is 8T, when the scales are consistent. The 45.5 HML comes m from getting another 2.5 on the load. That is another thread though. So 8T for the tug is more realistic, though still not all that easy.

Part of the dreaming derived from after test driving a Tesla. I was amazed how much braking they have from the resistance of the electric motor. A mate who owns one said he never uses the brakes, just relies on the motors. Of course you have to drive it that way.

The Mack I have has an Alison auto, a mechanic told me I was nuts driving an auto down hill but it does great job when the exhaust brake is working. The DAF has a 12speed manual computer assisted auto. It works great but no where near as smooth as the Alison. So it got me wondering if an Allison 6sp auto could be paired to an electric motor, and if it would hold on the hills. Again lots to work out but how sweet would that be an ET with an auto like a car, but in a classic old jigger. Or maybe one of these boxes, www.eaton.com/au/en-gb/catalog/emobility...ev-transmission.html

Sorry lads, no man here with no hairy chest. I like autos, air-conditioning, quiet, and comfortable. Happy to be the soft cock.

More
1 year 8 months ago #239159 by hayseed

Putting that aside I have some perimeters I have to work within, one of them is the overall length of the vehicle has a maximum length of 14.5m, and a GCV (Gross Combined Mass) of 45.5T using HML (Higher Mass Limit) management.

My current set up is trailer unladed is 7.2T, load is 27.3T, tractor is 8T, when the scales are consistent. The 45.5 HML comes m from getting another 2.5 on the load. That is another thread though. So 8T for the tug is more realistic, though still not all that easy.

Just out of curiosity...What are you going to Use It For or Cart around..??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #239166 by Vic Rhodes

Putting that aside I have some perimeters I have to work within, one of them is the overall length of the vehicle has a maximum length of 14.5m, and a GCV (Gross Combined Mass) of 45.5T using HML (Higher Mass Limit) management. .

You may need to get some Professional Advice Regarding the above Weight & Length...!!

I very much Doubt that being That Heavy & that Short will comply with the Bridge Formula..

www.nhvr.gov.au/road-access/performance-...ad-and-bridge-access
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Vic Rhodes.

More
1 year 8 months ago #239174 by V8Ian

Thanks guy this the exact type of feedback I am looking for. I will still ask dumb questions though as I try and piece it together and make sense of what's possible. And I apologise if I missed you, still getting the feel of how the forum pages configure.

It might still be all over the edge and down the mountain side form the lights on the hill blinding me lol. But yes I need to find out what the installation weighs. Furthermore I have noticed the battery mob have only done bonneted trucks. One has the battery on the side where a fuel tank would go, big as and quite ordinary looking. The other is under the bonnet. Also hope they are thinking about my request as I have not heard from them, and some sole trader may be of no interest to them. However I'd argue they need as many ET's on the road as possible to promote their idea, because generally I don't find much support for it 2022.

Part of the dreaming derived from after test driving a Tesla. I was amazed how much braking they have from the resistance of the electric motor. A mate who owns one said he never uses the brakes, just relies on the motors. Of course you have to drive it that way.

The Mack I have has an Alison auto, a mechanic told me I was nuts driving an auto down hill but it does great job when the exhaust brake is working. The DAF has a 12speed manual computer assisted auto. It works great but no where near as smooth as the Alison. So it got me wondering if an Allison 6sp auto could be paired to an electric motor, and if it would hold on the hills. Again lots to work out but how sweet would that be an ET with an auto like a car, but in a classic old jigger. Or maybe one of these boxes, www.eaton.com/au/en-gb/catalog/emobility...ev-transmission.html

Sorry lads, no man here with no hairy chest. I like autos, air-conditioning, quiet, and comfortable. Happy to be the soft cock.
My understanding is that EVs don't require a transmission, the drive is directly from motor to wheel.
Consider a Road Commander fitted with Reyco four spring or Hendrickson walking beam with a custom two stage springs. I had a Road Commander fitted with such, on a Hendrickson. It rode as smoothly or better than any Euro cab over.
Both the Kenny and Commander can be tamed by mounting the rear of cab on air bags.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, ElectricDreams

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #239176 by ElectricDreams
water, current set up is 14m long at 42.5T. There is another operator up here with a brand new show, he is doing 45.5 HML at 14.5m.

Yes I need to talk to a lot of people. My ignorant knowledge of electric cars / trucks is a mix of following Tesla, and people putting electric motors where the old power plants went and using the existing driveline. I have asked about electric trucks for 4 or 5 years now and always get its coming, or nothing as in Tesla's case.

roKWis nailed it with the meritor diffs, which I should have watched more of before posting. I get so excited about this stuff.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by ElectricDreams.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #239177 by ElectricDreams

Putting that aside I have some perimeters I have to work within, one of them is the overall length of the vehicle has a maximum length of 14.5m, and a GCV (Gross Combined Mass) of 45.5T using HML (Higher Mass Limit) management. .

You may need to get some Professional Advice Regarding the above Weight & Length...!!

I very much Doubt that being That Heavy & that Short will comply with the Bridge Formula..

www.nhvr.gov.au/road-access/performance-...ad-and-bridge-access

Thanks Vic, will have to read that a few times to let it sink in. I once enquired about a new PBS trailer, with lifting axels, with volume for HML and it all got too hard for the manufacturer. Seems what's promoted, verse the rules, and one's wants don't mesh so well.

Its funny ol world up here. The road used mostly by heavy vehicles is rated to 19m B doubles but we are not allowed to use them, and fair enough. Its windy, narrow, and steep, all at once in places and often wet. Let alone the traffic being on the wrong side of the road or tourist doing u turns on blind corners. Council has put 14.5m length restriction vie DA's on some water family run business's, though international ones get whatever length is needed. Private contractors bringing up earth moving gear, or road repair, houses, or the council tip truck are usually 19m or run dogs. No dogs though for us water types. On this approved road we have a large rock on a blind corner so trucks and the school busses have to cross the double whites to negotiate. Council, Transport Dept, police all know about it but meh. The locals heritage listed the road some time ago in an attempt to stop process pretty much, but it sure stopped enthusiasm to do anything with the road.
Some DA's require a court to change, others the council. Water cartage gets blamed for most gripes particularly wrecking the road, but damage is often on the uphill side which we run empty, and pot holes appear as soon as it rains where trucks don't go. Our business is approved for X volume per week, so we get given heaps of body trucks to use and a hand full of semis. Then when one wants to change it all to semi's for all the right practical reasons with no increase in volume, you get accused of being greedy and sneaky. I can go on and on, but plenty of hate up here unfortunately.

If the ET comes off it won't be about being quieter, cleaner, or more efficient, rather just the greedy bastard making even more money. As a good friend of mine always said, funny ol world.....
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by ElectricDreams.

More
1 year 8 months ago #239182 by Vic Rhodes

. There is another operator up here with a brand new show, he is doing 45.5 HML at 14.5m.

OK, I stand Corrected...

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds