with thanks
And do not eraise this post like the other one I did
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #249848 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Please Explain ?
Swishy

Yes there are problems we are all aware of and the program does not seem ideal.

The thing we must remember is Terry is not beng paid $100 an hour and I presume he has a life outside the forum. I think we can understand being the whipping boy might cause him to become a bit short. We must always keep in mind his contribution.

Having said that I presume he chose what appears to be a somewhat experimental program. Some of the early major problems were fixed quite quickly but the remaining rough edges seem to have been put in the too-hard basket. Perhaps we might have a brief overview (I know there have been various updates) on what is likely to be improved in the near future, long term or not on the work list. As he says it seems to rely on a volunteer crew of programmers who probably have a whole bunch of stuff on the go and our problems are not high priority as they do not impinge on the basic operation of the forum.

Quite often comparisons are not equitable but in this case the users are comparing apples with apples in what they get on their screen and change has brought about deterioration instead of advance. Certainly not fatal or even very difficult but with all the advances in technology bloody annoying to be behind what we have had for many years.

If Terry picks up his bat and ball and leaves it will be hard to find as good a worker to replace him so we should just tap him on the shoulder occasionally not punch him in the nose.

Lang
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, overlander, overnite, asw120, grandad, V8Ian, wee-allis, PDU and 1 other people also said thanks.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #249851 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Please Explain ?
Swishy,

I didn't delete your previous post/thread, I moved it and all the other threads relating to Forum problems under the Board titled Forum Issues, however i didn't notice Forum Issues was no longer visible to the majority of people on here. The posts were being duplicated and it was getting confusing trying to keep up with who said what where so i wanted to consolidate them in one. Some of the issues no have updates.

If you can't see Forum Issues now, let me know.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: grandad, wee-allis

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #249854 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Please Explain ?
Things are ticking along better than many years ago on the forum

Who remembers the photo bucket days and the huge loss when the bucket became no longer we lost most of the forum photos
We used to have to resize all the photos, then post in a link and on it went

Wanted to put a link up years ago to a youtube video or the like we copy pasted the link and the put a screen shot of the video above the link and blokes Swishman would write "clickty click on the link bellow for a good time"
I reckon in my dim dark grey matted parts of the brain is a memory of having to copy the link and opening another tab and pasting that copied link

Yes there are some issues but it's still works pretty good I reckon

Anyway, happy days everyone

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: grandad, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #249860 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Please Explain ?
Thanks Terry, I greatly appreciate your efforts, well done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, 77louie400, PaulFH, grandad, Brocky45

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #249878 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Please Explain ?
I sympathise with Terry and the task he has taken on for little or no personal reward.

I run a motor vehicle Website and I pay the hosting fees and as I can't do any of the maintenance work on the Forum, I pay a gent in Belgium to do it for me.

I do this because no one else wanted to take over from the last custodian so I took it on.

The program running this Forum (and most others) all seem to have a few issues but it isn't a simple tick this box and the problem goes away. You really do need to know what you are doing. I have a Geek 31 year old son who writes programs and he said he wouldn't even try to make the Forum work or maintain it.

Most Forum software is free to the user but it is all built by amateurs and problems are fixed as time or skill allows, so it isn't like going to Microsoft and saying fix this.

To Terry thanks for your efforts, I for one know how hard it is to keep these things running.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, eerfree, Morris, Mrsmackpaul, overnite, PaulFH, asw120, grandad and 4 other people also said thanks.

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds