Skip to main content

1959 International AA-110 4x4

More
14 years 1 month ago #25869 by kaslkaos
Greeting and salutations one and all.

A question I'd like to pose to you all is regarding a 1959 International AA-110 4x4 that was recently put up for sale on eBay. The auction ended some weeks ago and it sold for a grand total of $495.

Some of you may have seen it, but for those that didn't here are some happy snaps of the old girl.

Now the auction said it hasn't run for a few years, was 95% complete and generally solid.

I had my eye on this brutus for some time as a potential project and would have looked fantastic, especially with a two tone paint, but yet again distance killed my opportunity.

Yet, how common were these 4x4's ? Were they ever released here with V8 ? Are parts on this common with later model Inter's ? Finally how big a bargain was it for $495 ??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25870 by Old AB
Hi Mate, I think the AB was the first to come out with the V8. That AA was an early one i think. Dad had one with a chrome steel grille. There are some others on the forum that know the models better than me. We all need help to remember sometimes.............. Tony..........

Keep old inters alive.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25871 by atkipete
Have put together a list of all the Aussie inters at the back of my ACCO book, and the AB model is the first with the V345 ( then imported). There were two versions of the AA, which had me confused for a while.
At that stage the V8 would only have been in the heavy ones ie AB184 and AACO 184. ( still AACO not ACCO in those days.)

More
14 years 1 month ago #25872 by kaslkaos
Thanks Old AB & Atkipete for your imput.

I still think $495 make this unit a bargain. Your thoughts ?

More
14 years 1 month ago #25873 by bparo
Bargain is a word that is very subjective. If I was looking for one I would think it was a fair price given that the photos show no glass,

Lets put it this way - if it is what you want then go for it you could always sell the tub on the rear for about that so you won't be losing too much.

Bear in mind a finished one would be top dollar at $15,000 to $20,000. They are not as popular as the F-Series Fords so will take a bit longer to sell if you need money in a hurry.

I don't want to put you off - just want to make sure you are doing it for fun not money as if doing it for money the full resto it needs will not stack up against taking the time to findsing a going one. Still at $495 it would always be a good source of spares

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25874 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1959 International AA-110 4x4
$495 doesn't buy much nowadays .. and the buyer, at that price, got his value in parts alone. However .. it's only a bargain, if the vehicle is largely complete, doesn't require a number of very-hard-to-find parts to complete .. or doesn't require the expenditure of 1000's of $$'s in labour and parts, to get it up and running.

There's a lot of "cheap" and "bargain" deals out there, that are for sale, because owners have given up .. due to too many problems, too much cost, and a loss of enthusiasm.

Some of these deals on offer can actually be pretty good, particularly when a restorer has given up for reasons such as lost enthusiasm, run out of money, or other important demands have taken over.
I've seen a lot of partially completed restos for sale, that come with 1000's of $$'s worth of parts and body work, for literally hundreds of $$'s.

The 4WD Inters were produced in low numbers, starting with the AS-120, I seem to recall. I picked up an AS-120 4WD wreck in the early 1980's, from the SE Wheatbelt of West Oz, but sold it to a farmer for parts, who was located in the Northern wheatbelt. This had been a local truck, purchased in 1957, from memory, as recorded in the operators manual. I seem to recall that busted front diffs or transfer cases were common. They had no free-wheeling hub option, unless you fitted Warn hubs yourself. They suffered from a lot of drivetrain wind-up, particularly if you fitted odd-sized tyres, or drove on bitumen in 4WD for any distance. As a result of the fixed 4WD, they were heavy on fuel, too .. as if any Inter, was ever light on fuel .. ::) ::)

These trucks were pretty crudely built, and crude to drive. They were the originators of the, "give me 40 acres, and I'll turn this rig around" saying .. :D
All the smaller models (110 to 150) were 6 cyl only up until the mid-to-late 1960's when the 345 V8 started to be fitted to match Chrysler offering the 318 in the little Dodges. If you want a fast truck, buy one of those 318 Dodges. If you're happy with an old noisy plugger, with relatively slow road speed, lots of noise, and heavy on fuel, buy a 4WD Inter. The larger 4WD's such as the 130 and later 1300 series are good candidates for repowering with a Perkins.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25875 by Tatra
Who did the 4X4 conversion on those? Was it an IH Australia design? We had a few of the earlier version in Israel and if I'm not mistaken, they had a Coleman front axle which meant spider wheels all round (unusual for a small truck at that time). Handling must have been as the later ones, if one has to judge from the below (from an old Israeli newspaper I scanned) ;)

Those weird Coleman hubs are visible on the larger US model (used on the Mount Sinai route in the 1970s):

Cheers,

T

14 years 1 month ago #25876 by
Tatra - The IH 4WD's here were Australian-designed and built, and I seem to recall they used Dana axles. I'm sorry, but I've never heard of, or seen, Coleman axles.

I can't recall who built the transfer case in the IH 4WD's, but it would have been a common big U.S. maker, such as Eaton or Spicer .. or the British Turner, who based their transmission designs on Clark designs, and who were later purchased by Dana.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25877 by rmanddd
i brought a AA 120 4X4 TRAY BACK in better nick ,would like a tub . I thought the one on ebay was dear enough for the work it needed .But have not seen any 110 4x4s about.

AS110 COUPE. AA120

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25878 by
A couple of years ago there was an ex-Army AB-120 in the local truck wrecking crowd, Truck Wreckers. This had an unusual, but I'd say, Army spec, tub on it, that's a cross between a tray and the standard AA/AB tub.
I don't know what happened to it, I think Truck Wreckers are now defunct, I haven't checked on them for quite a while, and I think their yard has probably been gutted by the scrap men. There's a vast amount of industrial development going on around where Truck Wreckers were, massive new sheds and warehouses appear every week out there ..

www.aulro.com/afvb/remlr-army-inter-chap...b120-wrecking-2.html

You'd be hard pressed to find any good tubs, they cop a hiding in most cases, and constant loading and unloading, along with corrosion, and the usual amount of bashes and dings, makes most tubs when you find them, pretty sad .. :'(

I found a lot of old Inters in the SE wheatbelt of West Oz, when I was earthmoving contracting .. but with so much salty ground out there, they were all knackered.

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds