Skip to main content

What Classic truck should I be considering & why?

More
12 years 1 month ago #79114 by MBTRAC
Hi Guys,
I am planning on purchasing another

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #79115 by
g'day MBTRAC .. as i was reading this post i kept thinking COE 4070 transtar and at the bottom you give it a mention...

FWIW..pretty sure you could find a reasonable one, do the stretch and (second hand?) tray, and consume most of your 25-30 thousand and you would have a recognisable classic...along with all the other boxes ticked.

good luck with whichever way you go....cheers

More
12 years 1 month ago #79116 by Chocs
Gimme a yell when ya find one Detecta...

chocs 8-)

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #79117 by
g'day Chocs...are they getting that hard to find ? i think there's one, a sleeper COE up in the industrial estate in craigeburn, off the brick makers road

...doesn't look too loved ;) ;)

More
12 years 1 month ago #79118 by Chocs
Detecta...
I wouldn't say they are exactly dripping off the trees would you? ::)

Heres my two bobs worth, for what its worth...
I am not sure what age bracket you are in MBTRAC,
but climbing into a conventional would certainly be my preference over a cabover.
There are a few variables there, sleeper / non sleeper?
A conventional with a box and a crane will limit your tray length depending on the length of your dog (to maintain your 19 mtrs.)
You want a crane and a tipping tray of a reasonable length, so the tray overhang can't be huge....

It will come down to your personal preference, at least a narrowing of the field.
Everyones idea will be different, which is great but you will ultimately be the one sitting in it, working with it or on it..

chocs 8-)

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #79119 by
yeah chocs .. the whole subject is open to a personal opinion on things i guess...

the proviso in this case is a ''classic''...so i agree they wont be growing on trees so to speak, and largely a conventional, by definition to most of us aussies is the ''classic'', but as you have just stated..their full usefulness can come into question.

...it's all about ticking boxes for the individual, and MBTRAC has asked for an opinion....cheers

More
12 years 1 month ago #79120 by hayseed
I reckon Old Trucks, are a Lot like Women.

"Bueaty is in the eye of the beholder"

Some Old(ish) truck that MBTRAC finds appealling, the next Bloke may hate with a passion.

Mate, Buy whatever YOU like, that fits your budget.
It is after all your Money......

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #79121 by Chocs
One other very important thing to consider is and you seem no stranger to old buggies...

Long wheelbase, to cater for a tipping tray and a crane will have a dramatic effect on the turning circle.
I will go out on a limb and say 'most' american stuff pre '90 in that configuration, wouldn't complete a u turn in Victoria without a good operational reverse gear...

Working one and playing in one certainly narrows the field...

PS: i was refering to 4070's drippin off trees Detecta, as per you previous post..

chocs 8-)

More
12 years 1 month ago #79122 by Bruce99
And once you do & you start working that jigger like you say...... don't come back here looking for parts to keep it going. Old is old in any language!
Authorities will love sending that over the shaker once a month. (Paint a bullseye on it for them?)

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

More
12 years 1 month ago #79123 by Fuller-Vit
A good old 3070 inter would be hard to beat for your purpose, old enough to be a classic, strong enough not be easily busted, not a lounge room on wheels but not uncomfortable, will handle a 2 axle dog. They can look great, sound great and still go great.
Just my opinion to get you started but in saying that I am not discounting what the others have stated thus far.

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds