Skip to main content

What Classic truck should I be considering & why?

More
12 years 1 month ago #79124 by MBTRAC
Thanks Guys really appreciate your input & all input is great.
I want to buy the right truck first time & keep for good & am not shy of a little resto work mechanical/panel/paint provided it's all the worth the effort & as outcome will become a useable classic/preserve value..
Apologies for being so general as I don't want to exclude anything practical from consideration -and didn't mean to start anything here like WWIII, maybe I should have subtitled this "n then the fight started II".

Anyway, yes the proviso is for a "classic" COE or Conv, & I'm receptive to all makes/models - & yes I can live with all the concession of an old trucks like RTA hassles & finding parts (as long as I don't end up with a complete orphan or dinosaur - I run,resto cars/tractors/trucks & have gone through reregistering cars/trucks so I am quite good at debating with the authorities & finding the "unobtainium" that's still yet to be found/mined - I recently bare chassis rebuilt 2xUnimogs & believe me parts/rego was traumatic for them & a few other MR sized warhorses I keep rego'd on the farms)
My wish list is for the ideal truck, which probably won't be found so I'm willing to make quite a few compromises like not fitting the crane if necessary, afterall I'm looking for an old truck not a new one so I can hardly write the spec- only a few thngs are critical: the Tipping Tray, decent road speed & a broad spread of torque useability for paddock use(but the more boxes it ticks on my wish list the better).
Sleeper/Non Sleeper is neither here nor there except I may then need to compromise the tray size, 18ft is the minimum I can live with.
At 48 climbing in/out of large tractors/headers constantly is no different to jumping in COE's so that doesn't worry me, somehow the knees & back have held up OK (though I would like something maybe with a slightly bigger door than the coin slot my ex army square door acco 6x6 has)
I really value your collective opinions, knowledge & experience on brand/model/engine/gearbox in its day & from a working classic perspective, so don't get too hung up what's currently for sale or their spec's I can sort that out in the wash with a few extra $ to restore, extend chassis, remove sleeper..etc if need be though I would rather preserve original spec's if practical than "hot rodding" with a later motor etc.
The members here have a real distinct advantage in that they can give me two valuable perspectives: using this gear when new & the practicalities of now owning/maintaining/restoring this old gear
Again thanks guys & I am surprised by the prompt input so far - I must admit I hadn't even thought of a 3070 used to see a lot around, & an Eagle 903 its really got me thinking (fix the rust & hot dip gal the cab) I still have an 1830 & used to run an 1810 - but keep the suggestions &+/-'s coming.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #79125 by Chocs
An old banga for a bit of paddock work, with highway manners also:
6 cylinder cummins @ 350
15 overdrive
4.6 / 4.8 : 1
44000 rockwells
2 spring hendrickson

6 cyl Cummins -Economical engine, both parts and fuel, doesn't mind some idling in the paddock..
15 od. - good crawler with good highway range
4.6 /4.8 - gearbound at sensible revs
44's - good reliable diffs
2 spring - good oscillation in and out of paddocks
simple, affordable maintenance, acceptable ride particularly in a long wheel base tray..

Reference: actual experience

chocs 8-)

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #79126 by kenny-mopar
i dont want to say any particular brand but yes i agree with a 3070 acco or a T line..although the T line may be a bit to new for what your chasing.. or the inter "atkinson" with the big sleeper cab ...in the conventionals the "N" series volvos have a good turning circle ..but (i shouldnt say it) if some euro stuff is advertised with say 350hp ...its best to class that as say 300hp ::)
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by kenny-mopar.

More
12 years 1 month ago #79127 by dirty wheels
What about the last of the Atkinson's?

Decent gal cab, sleeper, horsepower, cogbox and diff's as suggested above.

Still a few 6 wheeler's with trays and the odd one with a crane to be found in the 'good book' or on trucksales.com.au for reasonable $$.

DW ;)

And remember

More
12 years 1 month ago #79128 by MBTRAC

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 1 month ago #79129 by Swishy

M80

A real man .................. needs a real truck

LOL

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 1 month ago #79130 by MBTRAC
Sounds to me like a message from God.......forgive me my sins, seems I am searching for a real truck with spiders & all. .....just may be less a bonnet unless you can bring your wrath on those who believe 19mtrs is the maximum permitted to enter the promised land.....of real trucking. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

More
12 years 1 month ago #79131 by HeyCharger
My avatar says it all.
See here <
<---- <

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds