Skip to main content

PMG Orange

More
11 years 5 months ago #103170 by Hardtopman
PMG Orange was created by Hardtopman
Is this like the orange PMG used back in the day.

Also the tipping body has drop sides and a single hinged tailgate.

Tailgate has a small door in it but i think it has been added later.

And has a G-well hoist

Any idea who would have built the body and could it have been a PMG Truck back in the day.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #103171 by FatBob103
Replied by FatBob103 on topic Re: PMG Orange
Bruce

I thought the PMG had red vehicles with gold lettering - But I could be mistaken.

Cheers

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

More
11 years 5 months ago #103172 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: PMG Orange
Orange was the colour of Telecom Australia after they split PMG into Australia Post and Telecom in 1975.

Dennis

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #103173 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: PMG Orange
Hardtopman, is your truck an early 1960s Dodge with the 4 headlights and the mesh grille? Looks to be a very original old truck, has it been repowered with a diesel motor?-Hamish Petrie
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #103174 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: PMG Orange
Certainly looks like a council/main roads type body. The rear swing gate was used by road repair gangs to get it out of the way so they could hook a sand or gravel spreader on to the back for covering newly laid tar. Also handy of you have a portable water tank and spray bay.

The little door was used to get small amounts out or for the boys to get a shovel full at a time to cover spot repairs.

Colour is interesting. You can see it was originally red (PMG?) then painted over orange (Telecom?). If the date of change in corporate title was 1975 as mentioned above, would a government department still have a truck that old in service and more particularly going to the expense of a complete repaint? I doubt it.
Lang
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Lang.

11 years 5 months ago #103175 by
Replied by on topic Re: PMG Orange
I'll take a guess it was is ex DMR they were orange with black guards. There is an ex DMR J model just outside Boorowa if i remembre i'll get a piccy next time i go past

11 years 5 months ago #103176 by
...telecom gold was the name of the colour (idstbc)....i'll dig up the fleet code and post the Dulux colour number.....cheers

More
11 years 5 months ago #103177 by Hardtopman
Replied by Hardtopman on topic Re: PMG Orange
The orange is the original colour and the truck was later painted red by brush. The orange inside is what the whole truck was to start with and the tray as well. I was on the understanding they used orange and red back in the day and then when it was split up in the mid 70's just used white. I have a late 1975 Dodge/Valiant ute that Telecom was the first owner and it was white. While i know of another Dodge/Valiant ute that is a 1973 model and is the PMG red and first owned by PMG. If they never used orange till post 1975 this truck is not PMG but maybe a council truck. Orange truck back in the early 60's would have stuck out like dogs balls.

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #103178 by
...the Commonwealth Department of Works (CDW) had a bright orange finish in the mid 'sixties as evidenced by their cabover Peterbilt 352 (ch/no 19301) they operated on float work throughout QLD....

...i guess we need a bit more info about the year model and what she did, and where she worked.....cheers

More
11 years 5 months ago #103179 by Hardtopman
Replied by Hardtopman on topic Re: PMG Orange
Is a 1960-62 Dodge 1075 Power giant.
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1356129841

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds