Skip to main content

Leyland Boxer wheel studs - where to buy?

More
1 year 1 week ago #245030 by mrsafety
Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for new wheel studs for the front of my Boxer (1974 BX8, 20" 8-stud). I started the process of removing the front wheels last week and after much sweat and tears I've finally got them off today. Unfortunately there have been a few casualties - two of the passenger side studs (left hand thread) are damaged and I have one driver side stud that I needed to cut off as it was spinning. I figured it would be a safe bet to replace all of the studs and nuts as they've had nearly 50 years of use and abuse.

The studs are 22mm diameter and have 33mm nuts, length is about 45mm plus whatever length is behind the drum face. Don't ask me what the imperial equivalent is, sorry.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated! For reference I'd like to keep the LH/RH stud system too, as I know some people convert them all to standard right hand thread.

Cheers,
MrSafety

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 week ago #245031 by Mrsmackpaul
Try Maxi parts or any good truck parts place, dunno were you are but I doubt they would be hard to get

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 week ago #245032 by JOHN.K.
Actual is 7/8 BSF thread .......left and right hand..........maybe you will have to get them from England............using RH both sides has been know to unscrew the nuts with unfortunate results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 week ago #245034 by Eightpot
If you are really stuck it might be worth enquiring of the Leyland Society here in the UK.

www.leylandsociety.co.uk/index.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 1 week ago #245035 by Dave_64
I was ginning around with these a few years back and reckon that the Karrier versions of the Commercial used the same or very similar wheel stud.
If they are the type that are held into the drum by a dowel pin and lock nut from inside.
Maybe another avenue to explore, someone may have old Karrier stuff kicking around??
Worth a try!
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 1 week ago #245046 by paulc20
I got some 7/8" BSF right handed thread ones a few years ago from ABC diesels in Hornsby (Sydney), but they were 2nd hand.

Paul

More
1 year 1 week ago #245062 by JOHN.K.
If these studs are press fit knurled ,then the fit in the hub is probably worn out for the one that turned .
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 week ago #245068 by cobbadog
A couple of tack welds inside the worn hole will take up any tolerances

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 1 week ago #245072 by mrsafety
Hi all - thank you for all of the advice/info! Getting the drums off is going to be another bit of a mission as all of the retaining screws are rusted beyond recognition.

John - regarding the spinning stud, this was my thought exactly. I might try Cobba's trick if this is the case. The nut I cut off it didn't have any thread or clean thread spots on it, so it really was just the rust holding it on there. My guess is that it has been there for a long, long time. I'll put an update on this thread if/when I can source some, just in case anybody else is Googling and comes across my query.

Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds