Skip to main content

Lanova design engines

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160596 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Re: Lanova design engines

I have seen a NR Mack with the Mack Lanover diesel cast on the exhaust manifold.. I think the later NR's had them....

...I too have seen an NR/NM Mack up at North Star in Northern NSW with the Lanova script on the RH side of the engine. Also we had a big Ricardo standby genset at the firm I worked at in the early 1980's.....

...Ricardo may've been more involved with ship engines and the like latter days...and i'm pretty sure (istbc) there is still the Ricardo name attached to heavy engines to today.....
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by defective.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160597 by SAR-350
Replied by SAR-350 on topic Re: Lanova design engines
A few Lanova combustion cell type engines in tractor's too, most of the big Minneapolis Moline (G-vi, 705 etc had them, as did the Case 500, 600 etc..
cheers,
SAR-350

More
8 years 10 months ago #160598 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Re: Lanova design engines
Hi all- The Lanover system was widely used in the USA because fuel was extremely cheap compared to other countries. They were good with long stroke, slower revving motors which would lug down and hang onto a load and often made a lot of smoke. As others have said, and Grandpa's article, the fuel consumption was much higher than the later higher compression engines and they were mostly limited to about 1800 rpm. In the extreme cold they were comparitively hard starters and that's why most were fitted with block heaters to keep them warm and get them going. It is interesting to see that they had an input with the original Ferguson Diesel as they were notoriously bad cold starters even with the 24 volt system. I had an Allis -Chalmers that was mentioned, in an Endloader and under heavy load, digging and stockpiling Gravel, it used 60 litres every hour. I replaced it with an 8/71v GM and on the same job never used more than 40 litres an hour.- Kav.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160599 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Lanova design engines
Just a quick thanks to all who replied/added to the original postings re Lanova/Ricardo.

Both, it would seem to me, to be exceptional engineers.

Without getting too involved in all the legalities, would I be right in guessing that if you hold the patent rights to a certain idea, that you can sell it to whomever, as long as they pay some sort of royalties?

Just from what has been written here, including the links mentioned, just about anybody has /had adopted a lot of Ricardo's ideas.

Cheers.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160600 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Lanova design engines
I think the terminology would be that if you have the patent you can LICENCE its use and collect royalties. Once you sell it, the new owner picks up the rights, unless there are some specific conditions attached to the sale.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
8 years 10 months ago #160601 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Lanova design engines
Ricardo was a consultancy firm, more than just an individual, and in the early years of engine development pretty well most manufacturers knocked on the Ricardo door. The name brought cache to your product so the Ricardo name always got a mention - they were probably better self promoters than cylinder head designers. Leyland used them in the 20's but dumped them after a short while when they didn't deliver.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160602 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Lanova design engines
The biggest user of the Lanova system (designed by German Fritz Lang in the 30s) was actually Henschel who built the biggest Lanova-engined trucks ever, like this 36W3 with a straight 8 of initially 170 hp. They had more powerful designs on the cards but WWII put an end to play. After the war again the first models used the Lanova system but just like Mack they moved on the direct injection.

http://baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=704458&sid=640bd31b442347085fd5b9a5a44f4da3

The below is one of the prototypes, this one with a flat 12 of 330 hp for an Autobahn coach.

http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=379818

More
8 years 10 months ago #160603 by Mrsmackpaul
A flat 12 I have never heard of such a thing for that matter I have never heard of Henschel either theres a whole world out there I havent heard of :)

Interesting chassis around the back axles

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 10 months ago #160604 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Lanova design engines
White had a flat 12 cyl petrol engines in its buses in the late 40s - early 50s. One came to Australia; the bus is preserved at the Sydney Bus Museum, but the engine was replaced many years ago.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 10 months ago #160605 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Lanova design engines
Beavz
Gudday M8

Iz thiz the beast in Q:?

Cya