Skip to main content

ASC Internationals

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #173864 by Dave_64
ASC Internationals was created by Dave_64
Hi Guys,
Going back quite a while ago, there was an auction which had what I think was called an ASC160 semi-cabover International for sale. Tried to find a bit of info about them, but can't seem to source much.
I do remember someone posted something about driving one in the West and had a lot of trouble with chassis or spring hangers breaking on the rough stuff.
Then I find an old posting by Swishy who actually had a "used and abused" one set up as a yard crane. Only a limited amount released out here, If I'm reading correctly.
Always been a model that intrigued me, would be interested if anyone can point me in the right direction as to finding a bit more about them and ALSO, if I have this right, there was also a smaller version of the same set up, possibly same cab and running gear, but single speed diff running on smaller diameter wheels/tyres.
Thanks for any help,

Dave_64
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Sarge.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173870 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic ASC Internationals
Hi Dave, googled in ASC 160 International Truck, got 1957 model for sale Victoria.
Nice pics and some detailed info, not sure how accurate.
Link was automotoclassicsale.com/node9346
Think Dandenong transport company maybe Green McCandliish had one on local
deliveries mid 1970's. Had " Little Sport " name across front. Truck with character.
Good luck with the research. Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173871 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic ASC Internationals
One of the magazines did a story on a restored one, year or 2 back.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173873 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic ASC Internationals
My Dad has told me about when the local IH dealer tried to sell him one and they were called "High Society" according to Dad, he always reckoned you would needs a safety harness in the bonnet

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 8 months ago #173885 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic ASC Internationals
Paul,
Yeah, saw that, posted April 2015. Nice looking old jigger and has been looked after. Wants top dollar, though.
Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173889 by defective
Replied by defective on topic ASC Internationals
...recently had a look at an AR version of these high cab style of trucks...this one had a split front windscreen, but what else was different between the two ?

More
7 years 8 months ago #173895 by Thunder Down Under
Drove one of these way back in the days of my 'wild yoof'. It was an ex 'Bristile' vehicle here in WA.

I transported machinery to a road camp at Barradale north of Manilya when the Northern Highway was being sealed. Yes, Broke a rear right hand spring and had to chain it fore and aft to get it into Carnarvon where I manage to get it welded back together. Then again, I managed to break another rear right hand spring on an 'S' line south of Warwick in later years. Crap springs on Inters. :blink:

TDU

More
7 years 7 months ago #173919 by Dave_64
Can anyone else add anything to this? Like the 'Tective said about the split screen model? Differences?
Did they only ever come out (in Oz) in the one size, 160?. Have seen a few in Seppo forums where they have been cut and shut, or simply a smaller unit, running on what looks about 16" wheels.
Swishy, read in an earlier forum quite a few years ago about you having one set up as a yard crane? Any info? Or has she also gone to that far away, lonely resting place?
Cheers, Dave_64

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 7 months ago #173922 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic ASC Internationals
Davo
Gudday M8

Yes the ol yard crane iz a handy bit of gear......... we'd B lost without a yard crane
ours B .......... ASC 160 Disc Wheel 4 speed cog box single speed diff
other V: available way back wen Spider spoke wobbly wheels n 2 speed diff
Jack imported a similar beast a few years ago LHD thnk n its a L sumthing model

Not 2 B confuswd with thiz 2 storey cornbinder

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:

More
7 years 7 months ago #173928 by Dave_64
Swishy, thanks for the info as well as the photo's. BTW, love that purpose designed front counterweight! No doubt a lot of thought went into both the engineering and construction of same.
The more I look at them, the more convinced that they look like they have used the basic R model Inter cab and glued a few more panels here and there.
That 2 storey cornbinder as you call it, that looks one mean machine!
Thanks again,
Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds