Skip to main content

Vietnam Trucks

More
2 years 7 months ago #226538 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Vietnam Trucks
The Navy navigate by the stars.
The Army sleep under the stars.
The Air Force choose their motel by the stars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #226544 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Vietnam Trucks
Cobba

Everyone thinks "Top Gun" was a parody but it is true.

Q: How do you know if there is an Air Force pilot at your party?
A: He'll tell you.

Q: What's the difference between an Air Force pilot and a jet engine?
A: A jet engine stops whining when the planes shuts down.

Q: How many Air Force pilots does it take to change a light bulb?
A: One...he just holds the bulb and the world revolves around him.

Q: How do you bury a fighter pilot?
A: You give him an enema and bury what’s left in a shoe box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, overlander, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 years 7 months ago #226548 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Vietnam Trucks

And to think they were mostly only "kids" flying them.

No they weren't, they were men and we should never sell them short
And Im not having a go at you just looking at it from a different angle, and yes I think I do understand what you were saying
Paul

Both right. Australian conflict from Boer War on has always depended predominately on youngsters. This was published when my late father was President of his Battalion Association.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #226554 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Vietnam Trucks
Bloody great pics Lang, imagine the stories behind some of them..
I guess we are ... lucky? that we never had to do that. (Well I didn't, anyhow) As a young fella, I would have been all over it, all passionate and proud and ready to "do my duty" and so on.
Now with the supposed "benefit" of years (geez, benefit??) I reckon I'd take a different and far more cynical view and really be thinking very hard about going some place I'd never heard of, to shoot and get shot at by people I've never met, because some blooody politician told me it was what we had to do...
Imagine the poor bloody farm boys hearing the stirring sounds of the CooEee's etc marching past, wanting to be with your mates and go and have a terrific "adventure". Bugger the farm, or the city for that matter- you'd be off like a shot.
Then I wonder whether you'd look back and ask was it worth it.....if you got to look back, of course.
Anyway! There's a musing for you. Guess thats why they don't send old blokes to war!
Cheers
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #226556 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Vietnam Trucks
The grandfather signed up soon as he heard about the war,Sept1914........he was sure the war would be allover when he got to England,and he d have a free trip back home ,and be rid of the heat,flies and dust of Queensland ........things went wrong when the ship turned off at Gibraltar,and they went to Egypt ....heat .flies and dust......he arrived back in Qld on New Years Day 1919......if he stayed in England,he would not get any Australian pension for his leg,so he had to come back..........Funny thing was ,he did OK ,and went back to Scotland,but he couldnt stand the cold,so back to Queensland.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #226561 by V8Ian
Lang, a comment from a fellow who saw your (Log's) picture.
"I remember being on Luscombe Field about to jump on to a Huey ,when two sparkling brand new Cobras landed.

I don’t reckon the two Yankee flyboys had even climbed out before a stencil and paint tin and brush arrived and the white kangaroo arose in all his glory.!

Also to change U.S. to A.U.S.T. was common, but only by other corps... us engineers where too damn busy for such shenanigans ."
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim, Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #226574 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Vietnam Trucks
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago #226578 by raafy
Replied by raafy on topic Vietnam Trucks
Good to see you grunts are still jealous of the RAAF.
I missed out on Vietnam by a few months & by the time I joined the RAAF in 1975 it was all over.
It doesn't matter which service you were in when in Vietnam you still deserve credit for serving your country.

MOVED FROM CAIRNS TO VICTORIA & STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHY
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, cobbadog, tim, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, V8Ian

More
2 years 7 months ago #226583 by V8Ian

Good to see you grunts are still jealous of the RAAF.
I missed out on Vietnam by a few months & by the time I joined the RAAF in 1975 it was all over.
It doesn't matter which service you were in when in Vietnam you still deserve credit for serving your country.
Not only in time of conflict, even in peacetime you're signing a blank cheque, not knowing what the final price may be. Whilst enjoying the banter and friendly rivalry, at the end of the day, we all know a serviceman is loyal to another serviceman regardless of which branch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds