Skip to main content

....Jack Errit and his Jackbilts....

• Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101673 by
g'day all .. Jack Errit was a bloke who knew how to nail a truck together...i've got a pic of Jackbilt number 4....KW cab on an NR Mack chassis...a KW cabover at that...

...ol' mate hi-beam (and a few others) may be able to help to fill in a few details on his illustrious career in the innovative days of big trucks in road transport 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)...

... i'll attempt to post a picture soon..... ::) ::) ::)

[IMG

...here she is in 1978 (Ron Knight photo via Phillip Geer)...and apologies to hi-beam for the order... ;) ;) ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101674 by jimbo51
Here's a couple more shots Decco, taken at KW St Peters about 1975-6. Looks to be the same one?

Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by jimbo51.

• Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101675 by
....cheers Jimbo .. ol' mate Bill will be jumping out of his skin when he spots this lot ;D ;D....

More
11 years 4 months ago #101676 by fageol100
Very interesting Detective, the conversion looks to be a very professional job. Obviously Cummins powered, looks like it still has the NR Mack axles. In N.Z. there was an ex W.W.II Federal 604 that was converted to COE with a TK Bedford cab, it was repowered with a Detroit 8V53 motor. Durham's Transport in Christchurch had a Federal 604 ex Tom Gilroy that had the Cummins HB600 replaced with a Detroit 6.71. Durhams replaced the original cab with an LAD Leyland Comet short door cab. It was still a bonnetted truck though and the Leyland cab didn't do a lot for its looks.-Hamish Petrie

More
11 years 4 months ago #101677 by AERODYNE
Hi did a lot of work on the old Mackworth in my younger years, as i can remember one of the mechanics from St Peters went and drove it for a while and he loved it ,his nickname was jc John Coleman ,it was a work of art that truck and they would go anywhere in it
Chappo

• Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101678 by
g'day Chappo .. on the back of the piccy was the name John Coleman....which didn't mean a thing to me until it was pointed out it was ''tex'' Coleman ..... bloody legend 8-) 8-) 8-) ;D ;D....

....also i made a hash of Jack's surname...it was Ehret... :-[ :-[

• Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101679 by
g'day all .. hi-beam sent this through for all to see....the damaged NR Mack just in, and due to become the mackworth (jackbilt 4) 8-) 8-) 8-)

...the donor cab was from none other than Tony Harbutts KW cabover bogie 335 ...burnt out when the turbo set alight the engine tunnel (idstbc) :'( :'( ....and that rebuild is a story within itself.....cheers

[IMG

• Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago #101680 by
Wow

Its amazing what pictures must be out their, thanks hi beam for sharing.

Trevor

More
11 years 4 months ago #101681 by newto

Hi did a lot of work on the old Mackworth in my younger years, as i can remember one of the mechanics from St Peters went and drove it for a while and he loved it ,his nickname was jc John Coleman ,it was a work of art that truck and they would go anywhere in it
Chappo

chappo,
is JC still about?....luv to catch up with him if he is...last I heard he was twisting spanners and steering for uncle albert (RIP)....but that was ages ago..
newto

• Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago #101682 by
The pics put up by Jimbo & Dect could 2 diffrent trucks as one has a folded down bull bar and diffrent number plate but I migth be wrong. Dave

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds