Skip to main content

Ford Jailbar & Thornton names

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #104473 by fageol100

Just as a matter of ineterst, DAF actually started as a producer of twin rear axles on Fords also, but their system was very different from Thornton's (as described above), more like Scammell's rear but using shafts instead of chains.

See more here: blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2010/04/27/t...l-drive-conversions/

There was a Chev conversion too.

They were used by the Dutch army pre-WWII but also available for civvy street I believe.

Cheers

T

PS: And while we're at it, who was responsible for those?

Is this a trailing axle Ford F60-H, Tatra?, although looks like they're both driven axles, don't know what type of suspension these used. Hopefully somebody that is up to speed on CMP trucks will know.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by fageol100.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #104474 by Tatra

Tatra i see they use the word "insane" in the article you linked to. Hate to think of the power lost through what looks to be 7 differentials. :-?

They did sell more than one or two...

Is this a trailing axle Ford F60-H, Tatra?, although looks like they're both driven axles, don't know what type of suspension these used. Hopefully somebody that is up to speed on CMP trucks will know.

I thought it was a 6X6 but it's easy to mistake them.

More
11 years 3 months ago #104475 by toe truk Billy
Tata, I see you used the word "Insane" to describe a Blitz. Yep I can understand why. They drive like a pregant gopher and about as fast. We have one, restored but not with a Holmes wrecker body unit.
I think it is a 750 with outriggers. But I must admit people do get out of your way when your driving down the highway (at35mph)flat out.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #104476 by Tatra
William, the reference to insane was in the article about the DAF Trado 6X4 and 6X6 conversions but from today's point of view a Blitz would be insane (as most of everything back then) for sure. 35MPH was not unusual for many trucks in the 1940s, lol. How times change.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Tatra.

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds