Skip to main content

Ford Jailbar & Thornton names

More
11 years 3 months ago #104463 by Tired Iron
Ok old timers-
I kinda worked out the jailbar thing (eventually), but was the "Thornton" part an official name, or just a name it got?
And why did it get that name?
I'm sure I saw a few like these as a kid-must have been hard work in either.
Thanx in advance
Cheers
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #104464 by werkhorse
How about a young-uns opinion...Thornton was the maker of the rear, usually tandem, backend 8-)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #104465 by fageol100
I think there was a Mr. Thornton designed the Thornton tandem drive conversion who either worked for the Gear Grinding Machine Company of Detroit, also known as Grico, or had some other connection with this company. I've also seen reference to the Thornton Tandem Company and the Detroit Automotive Products Company. As well as Fords I've also seen photos of Chev-Thorntons, Dodge-Thorntons and even a Mack EF/EG model with a Thornton backend. Hopefully somebody else has more information on this.-Hamish Petrie
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 3 months ago #104466 by ronhorse
A picture of a Ford Thornton on "odd bits". Martin bros of Alice Springs bought two with Herc diesels in them, I remember checking one out one day without the semi on it, looked like 2 eaton 2 speed diff's facing each other, connected to a transfer box between them and the tailshaft going to the main gearbox, interesting set up, the only other two I have seen were carting wine to Hay with bogie semi's powered by, if you can believe it, a 4LW Gardner diesel, just as well there were no hills!! Be interesting to know if anyone knows about these.

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
11 years 3 months ago #104467 by grandad
Hamish,
The Thornton Tandem Co. became the Detroit Automotive Products Corp. I think the Grico Two Axle Drive Co. was a different company, they had their own two-axle drive unit. Ray Thornton designed the two-speed transfer box with a self-locking diff in it that later came out in 1939 as the NoSpin, which became the Detroit Locker. Chevrolet and Dodge both offered new trucks with Thornton conversions through their dealers. There are some interesting bits on the www.dodgepilothouseclub site, also the Thornton Patent No. 2043725 and the Grico Pat. No.2206752 are worth a look, hope this helps,
cheers

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #104468 by fageol100
Thanks very much for that grandad.-Hamish Petrie
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 3 months ago #104469 by Mrsmackpaul
on the road making post it was said that the thorton conversion used same back end reversed but wouldnt have to been up side down as well to get axles to spin the right way or did they make there own diff centers as well ?

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 3 months ago #104470 by grandad
As far as I know the extra axles were supplied by the truck manufacturers to simplify spares, and looking at the pic one of the driving heads is upside down in relation to the other one so that's how they got the rotation right

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #104471 by Tatra
Just as a matter of ineterst, DAF actually started as a producer of twin rear axles on Fords also, but their system was very different from Thornton's (as described above), more like Scammell's rear but using shafts instead of chains.

See more here: blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2010/04/27/t...l-drive-conversions/

There was a Chev conversion too.

They were used by the Dutch army pre-WWII but also available for civvy street I believe.

Cheers

T

PS: And while we're at it, who was responsible for those?

Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Tatra.

11 years 3 months ago #104472 by
Replied by on topic Re: Ford Jailbar & Thornton names
Tatra i see they use the word "insane" in the article you linked to. Hate to think of the power lost through what looks to be 7 differentials. :-?

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds