Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
2 years 2 months ago #233077 by jon_d
Lang,

Is this because of charging times or some other reason

Have a look at how thick the charging cable is he's holding. There's no way it could dump a massive current into the batteries; large enough to haul a truck around for a day, let alone a week. Obviously a trial and I guess they'll be extrapolating the data to see if it's worthwhile up-scaling the capacity.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #233112 by Mrsmackpaul

The commentator lost me when he said "All these cars have been converted to Electric Light"

Yeah I gotta agree, to me it's wrong, they can have the best speal in the world about what they are doing to those cars by it just doesn't seem right at all

It appears they hack them up quite a bit to make the electric, and it's kinda silly really because how much green house gas would these rarely driven cars ever of produced ?

Dunno if you can heritage list a car or heritage vehicle like you can a house ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 2 months ago #233114 by Lang
Before getting knickers in a twist start on the tens of thousands of heritage vehicles chopped up by hotrodders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tacho, oliver1950

More
2 years 2 months ago #233115 by Mrsmackpaul

Lang,

Is this because of charging times or some other reason

Have a look at how thick the charging cable is he's holding. There's no way it could dump a massive current into the batteries; large enough to haul a truck around for a day, let alone a week. Obviously a trial and I guess they'll be extrapolating the data to see if it's worthwhile up-scaling the capacity.

I gathered they only put a big enough battery in to for the truck to do its run and this is why the charging system is small, if that is correct it would really limit the trucks usefulness unless they can upgrade battery range quickly and cheaply

Anyway I guess it just goes to show what some companies are trying to do

Paul

More
2 years 1 month ago #233185 by Zuffen
I think Lang's last comments were very much how it is.

No one will give you straight answers.

We have a 10K Solar System on our roof that points East and seems to do bugger all. Actually it does generate around 30KW of power a day, so is effective for 3 hours per day.

I've approached 3 companies about installing batteries and additional solar facing North to make it all sort of work.

They can all do it but they want $40,000 to install another 10K of panels and a couple of batteries.

All I have to do is sign on the dotted line.

Not one of them addressed if it was a sound economic decision, which I don't think it is, they just wanted us to buy the thing, they'd install it and be gone.

Most in the Green Industry are only there to make money and damn the customer.

I see Electric vehicles fall in the same category.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #233189 by JOHN.K.
There are supposed to be a number of electric Isuzu 4ton trucks around Brisbane working........Iwas told they swap batteries after 4 hours running.,the changeover is done in the drivers 10 minute break time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #233198 by Mrsmackpaul

I think Lang's last comments were very much how it is.

No one will give you straight answers.

We have a 10K Solar System on our roof that points East and seems to do bugger all. Actually it does generate around 30KW of power a day, so is effective for 3 hours per day.

I've approached 3 companies about installing batteries and additional solar facing North to make it all sort of work.

They can all do it but they want $40,000 to install another 10K of panels and a couple of batteries.

All I have to do is sign on the dotted line.

Not one of them addressed if it was a sound economic decision, which I don't think it is, they just wanted us to buy the thing, they'd install it and be gone.

Most in the Green Industry are only there to make money and damn the customer.

I see Electric vehicles fall in the same category.

Whilst I sympathize with your system not doing bugger all I think a lot of people get caught up in the hype

To me it should hardly be a surprise that a system that faces east only does bugger all

I would of thought a little bit of due diligence would of told anyone it has to face north if you live in the southern hemisphere

Is roof top solar worth while ?

Struth thats a million dollar question with so many variables
Are house hold batteries worth while ? Same answer

There is no one correct answer here and a lot depends on what people want and expect

Maybe get the existing system shifted to face north ?
Probably cost a lot less than 40 grand
Have you spoken to the clean energy council or what ever its called that pays all the rebates, I think they have to sign off on these systems before the installer gets his rebate

As far as electric vehicles go I guess it will be like when petrol cars first became popular, thousands of people in it to make a buck and a lot of those were probably well intentioned but after 20 years the customer ultimately decided who was gunna stay and who wasnt

I reckon the likes of that mob I shared the video on modifying classic cars will make huge splash but wind up pretty quick and there will be people everywhere that have spent a fortune on their cars that are left high on and dry

Paul

More
2 years 1 month ago #233208 by grandad
An AMC Gremlin from 1973

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #233225 by Zuffen
Paul,

The system was on the house when we purchased it 12 months ago.

I had thought about moving it onto the north facing roof and as it doesn't face the street we're happy to have it there.

By moving it we would double the energy out of it and a simple 16.5KW battery would probably see us using bugger all Grid power.

Probably cost $20,000 but that's a fair way from $40,00!

More
2 years 1 month ago #233230 by Mrsmackpaul
It would probably be well worth while to put it up on the northside even with out a battery
As I drive around I see panels facing all manner of direction but most people seem to get it right

We got a solar HWS put on the farm house at a guess 10 years ago, I had to be out for the day but left the Princess in charge, I ran the wire for the booster element up and left it hanging out the roof in a conduit ready to go were the bloke that quoted told me it had to be

I was stunned to see the unit facing south when I got home and calmly asked the Princess what happened

"She told me not worry they fixed my mistake and put the wire in the right spot"

I tried to remain calm and said but it was in the right spot but the unit is facing the wrong way

So onto SolarHart and the bloke tried to make out it was all okay, we had rather energetic conversation as he tried to blame everyone but him self

They did agree it was facing the wrong way but should be fine, like hell I'm saying and they agreed to come and swing it around

Scary part is the Princess thought it was all okay so I guess the average Joe maybe isnt to switched on about solar at all, I really dont know, but if Im spending my hard earned coin on anythjng I wanna know Im getting what I want

Paul

Oh and the wire was in the proper spot first go around and I ended up with a bonus extra hole in the roof, arent I lucky, a free hole lol

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.646 seconds