Skip to main content

Francis Birtles Pioneer Trip

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #248614 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Francis Birtles Pioneer Trip
If a solid belt breaks and gets lost what is the difference?

Here is what Dunlop (who are one of the world's biggest belt makers, both solid and link) have to say about them.

I am going to put a bit of a shield around the alternator to stop water blasting from wheels and rocks and sand. Well out from the case to not interfere with cooling.

V-Belt Link Belting
V-belt Link belting offers a fast alternative to a V-Belt or Wedge Belt in an emergency break down situation, due to the ease in which the belts length can be adjusted to suit any application. Also used as preferred belting product in applications where an endless belt can not be fitted without an expensive machine breakdown as it can be threaded into place and connected in situ without the need for shafts and bearings to be dismantled.

V-Belt Link Belting is the ideal replacement substitute for conventional rubber V-Belts and offers a permanent or ideal temporary replacement for conventional rubber V-Belts. Dunlop V-Belt Link Belting combines superior strength, durability and quick, easy assembly to keep equipment up and running at the same running horse power ratings as rubber belts.
• Durable urethane coating precision machined sides for smooth engagement
• Rugged, woven polyester fabric for strength and longer belt life
• Dunlop urethane construction offers superior resistance to most common industrial solvents and
chemicals, oil, water and extreme temperatures, from -25C to 80C
• Dissipates heat so they run cooler than conventional belts

Installation and assembly is as easy as a snap and a twist. No special tools are required to couple or uncouple each belt. Belts can be made to accommodate any length, which makes them ideal for emergency repairs and replacements. Once assembled, V-Link Belts are installed in a fraction of the time needed for endless rubber belts without removing bearings, motors or shafts. They are suitable in harsh environments and are ideal for metal processing, machine tool, agricultural, packaging, coal and aggregate, pulp and paper, marine, air handling, petrochemical, woodworking, conveying and food industries.

I am actually using Gates with the steel pins which are much stronger than a normal rubber v belt. Push through the slot and turn belts like Dunlops only finish up as double layer and are the same rating as a normal belt. The Gates belts ($85 per metre) finish up with a triple layer and are stronger and transfer more power than a solid belt.

Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248615 by hayseed

Here is what Dunlop (who are one of the world's biggest belt makers, both solid and link) have to say about them.

I am going to put a bit of a shield around the alternator to stop water blasting from wheels and rocks and sand. 

I'd also put a guard on the Belt to stop sticks/stones ect from getting thrown up into a pulley & spitting the belt...!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248616 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Francis Birtles Pioneer Trip
I'm curious as to the charge rate. While it looks a little under geared to me, I'd be pleased to learn that it charges just fine at cruising speeds. Have you had a chance to test it yet?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #248617 by Lang
Jarrod

The drive pulley is about the size of a standard crankshaft pulley.- camera angle trick.  Therefore in top gear at 1:1 it will be same as if it was on a normal engine position. With the overdrive selected it actually will be going 20% faster than if it was on the front of the engine.

Lang

Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, asw120

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248618 by 180wannabe
The delivery belt on both of my truck mounted super spreaders drives the same way, with a standard single V belt.  Always put at least a couple spare belts on at the same time while the tail shaft is off, and wire them up out of the way until needed.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, theabundantlife

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #248633 by Lang
Hayseed you can stop worrying.

Lang

Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, overlander, PaulFH, V8Ian, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248636 by Mrsmackpaul
I'm guessing all things you think will go wrong wont, and all the things you don't think of will

Brett has the smart answer here, wire extra normal belts around the tails shaft and if you need one it's quick and simple and at hand

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248637 by hayseed
Nice job, Lang.

That'll be a well Travelled Clamp by the time you get Home...LOL

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, wee-allis

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248638 by Lang
The obvious is the extra belts in reserve.

Reason for going this way is there is not enough fore and aft movement in the shaft to get the uni back past the flange bolts. The Drive-line Services bloke who altered the shafts to fit the overdrive said it drove them mad and they had to unbolt the whole overdrive to get the extra 12mm required.

While I am typing this I thought "Why did they not put the bolts through from the back with no restrictions? Coming in from the front means they hit the overdrive case  leaving about 30mm sticking out stopping the universal dropping down"

To fix it I will have to remove the overdrive, get a puller on the universal yoke, take the bolts out, put the whole lot back and have the nuts forward on reassembly. If I have time I will do it and put the spare belts on at the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Normanby, overlander, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #248671 by Lang
I have just had a talk with the owner of another of Birtle's original cars. In 1935 Francis married a much younger girl and they used his very sporty Vauxhall Hurlingham. You will note how the doors have been cut away in the wedding photo compared to the newsclipping and sales brochure. Holdens carried the work out for him as it apparently was just "too squeezy".

About 50 years ago Bruce Barton's father bought the car and now he has inherited it. Nothing has been changed or altered. Fortunately he lives an hour away from me and Bev and I are driving up on Thursday to photograph the two cars together.

Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, eerfree, Mrsmackpaul, Normanby, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.611 seconds