Skip to main content

Francis Birtles Pioneer Trip

More
5 months 6 days ago #249425 by wee-allis
Lang, it looks as though someone is trying to steal your thunder with this trip.
I just received a copy of the latest Australian Motorlife Museum magazine. In it, it tells of the plans for a Warren Brown to drive a 1925 Bean 14 from London to Melbourne next year in a re-enactment of Birtles trip.

Perhaps you should set up a challenge. I know who I'll be backing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 months 6 days ago #249428 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Francis Birtles Pioneer Trip
 We are coming from two different directions.

Bev and I will be unsupported, we don't even have a minor sponsor, getting as close to the original as possible, trying to get a bit of feel of history.and having an adventure solving problems on the run.

Warren is making a documentary, which he does very well. To do this he has Murdoch and other sponsors, film crews, mechanics and support vehicles.

As far as we are concerned, good on him. It is not a competition it is celebrating Australian history - the more the merrier.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

More
5 months 6 days ago #249429 by wee-allis
Love your style Lang, and I still know who I'll be barracking for.

More
5 months 5 days ago #249445 by Mrsmackpaul
More the merrier I reckon

A lot of fun will hopefully be had by all involved

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
3 months 1 week ago #250271 by Lang
We were supposed to drop the car off today but the wharfies' strike has delayed the loading by 5 days.

Trying to put a quart in a pint pot can be tricky so lots of stuff outside - just like Birtles in 1927. The brown roll is a pair of chairs for geriatrics who find it difficult to sit cross-legged on a ground sheet to eat their meals.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
3 months 1 week ago #250272 by wouldyou
Just read your aims in Restored Cars Magazine Lang, hope it goes as planned, the departure date is a bit worrying.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang

More
3 months 1 week ago #250274 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Francis Birtles Pioneer Trip
I assume it will be containerised for the trip?

If not you may need to buy new chairs in the UK as the wharfies will be off with all the attached gear.

More
3 months 1 week ago #250276 by Mrsmackpaul
Let the adventure begin

I  guess it begun a little while ago Lang 

Paul 

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #250278 by Lang
Zuffen

We are sharing a container with general cargo. It knocks about $5.000 off the cost.

Our start point and pre-departure "pit lane" is Brooklands Museum. Brooklands hosted me on the Vickers Vimy flight (the Vimy is now on permanant display there) and my AVRO Avian flight. I have been back several times to functions. Birthplace of British Aviation

A.V.Roe did the first British flight there. The circular steeply banked car race track was built at a todays cost of hundreds of millions - first car to ever do 100mph. If you are in UK it is a must with both cars and planes all in the old buildings.

Barnes Wallace designed the geodesic airframe of the Wellington Bomber, they have one in the museum and tradition has it he was a rare Pom who actually bathed every day.

The story goes he thought up the bouncing bomb for the Dam Busters by skipping the soap off the bathwater at his toes. The bath is still there but now in the Ladies toilet and "powder room" no longer in use. Quite a few years back before an annual dinner there I put a sign on the door directing the ladies to the facilities down stars and lay back in the huge bath with brass taps skipping the soap at my toes. Never got more than one skip!
www.brooklandsmuseum.com/

For those who are interested here is our first landing at Brooklands in 1994. We only had 26 hours from new on the aircraft and we had to build the engine cowls there in the two weeks before we departed from Farnborough Air Show for Australia. I had just flown the aircraft from Mildenhall RAF/USAAF base where we pulled it out of the USAAF Galaxy and stuck it back together. Only half the original strip was useable (see the road and trees built across it. First "short landing" for the Vimy and I was a bit hot on approach and the bugger floated before touching down. You can see my enthusiastic touch on the brakes which were only sufficient to just slow it down before exiting the runway towards the waiting mob. The main crowd were at the far end out of sight of the camera. I was still going so fast I was ready to ground loop it (stomp on one brake and make the aircraft spin around) to avoid an unpopular mixing of man and machine with the smiling throng. Luckily she stopped about 10 feet from the barrier.

A few thankyous for the "snappy" arrival thrilling the herd. Accept the trophy and learn the lesson.

If anyone is interested here is the full National Geographic movie of the UK=Australia flight.

Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, grandad, V8Ian, wee-allis, Zuffen

More
3 months 1 week ago #250286 by grandad
Got a few memories from the 50's and 60's at Brooklands when I used to collect aircraft scrap from Vickers when they were there.
Fascinating place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds