Skip to main content

Advice Needed Please

More
12 years 1 month ago #78827 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Advice Needed Please
Kenny, Don't doubt for a second, that that's not the market rate.
I am also aware the freight West- east is virtually nonexistant..
One question though, that $400/cubic Metre, is that: Adelaide - Perth?

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #78828 by EzyLivin
Replied by EzyLivin on topic Re: Advice Needed Please
Ok, the advice im receiving here is unreal. You fellas are champions. Im open to negative advice and positive advice so dont take it easy on me. Everything i have received so far has been spot on , the best advice i could ask for.

More
12 years 1 month ago #78829 by Kenny K125
Replied by Kenny K125 on topic Re: Advice Needed Please
Close mate, It was from Mt Gambier to Adelaide then to Perth.

Kenny

More
12 years 1 month ago #78830 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Advice Needed Please
Not sure if you'd call this negative or not, and I'm not into raining on anyone's parade, and I have no idea of your circumstance, but possibly get out there and a get a job with someone who is running in the area you are interested in. No need to ask questions then, once you've driven for someone else you'll soon find out how much motoin lotion the truck gets through, and a couple of questions when you are dropping off a bit of gear will give you an idea on the rate. But most importantly, you'll have a chance to meet mobs that you are intending to cart for. Most of the remote area's, and it doesn't have to be too remote are flat out getting blokes to drive trucks, or much else for that matter, and the money is probobly better than what you can make when you are struggling by on your own. Be the best way of doing a bit of groundwork with out jumping boots and all.

Ok, the advice im receiving here is unreal. You fellas are champions. Im open to negative advice and positive advice so dont take it easy on me. Everything i have received so far has been spot on , the best advice i could ask for.

More
12 years 1 month ago #78831 by EzyLivin
Have tried with most mate, the only thing they offer is around town work. Nothing on the road. And in a ute.

They want you to be rocket scientists to get out on the road around here. As every man and his dog who had a truck licence years ago, has done time out on the mines now and is ticketed to the nines. They want you to be able to operate everything but trucks. Mining is a pain in the ass. Cant even get a job on the mines around here as a local, they prefer FIFO. Its pathetic. I can get a job FIFO easier then local.

More
12 years 1 month ago #78832 by EzyLivin

Kenny, Don't doubt for a second, that that's not the market rate.
I am also aware the freight West- east is virtually nonexistant..
One question though, that $400/cubic Metre, is that: Adelaide - Perth?

So for say a pallet
1.2x1.2x1.5H = 2.16 Cubic Metres

Which would equal = $864

Crikey $864 for one pallet of goods.

Am i calculating that right?

Thats big biccies.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #78833 by Kenny K125
Replied by Kenny K125 on topic Re: Advice Needed Please
Sorry Eazy living, I have mislead you, That was $400 for the pallett, I went back and checked the invoice I recieved. My bad :(
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Kenny K125.

More
12 years 1 month ago #78834 by EzyLivin

Sorry Eazy living, I have mislead you, That was $400 for the pallett, I went back and checked the invoice I recieved. My bad :(

Thats alright mate.

I rechecked my quotes also,

For a pallet of goods weighing 80kg, 2 metres high, got the following 3 quotes:
$470
$560
$580

Unreal. Thats over a distance of 2500kms. Unreal, and all 3 companies send a triple here everyday.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #78835 by
Replied by on topic Re: Advice Needed Please
G'day Ezy,
One thing I found from working for myself is that it's one thing to quote a price and line up some work etc. It's another thing getting paid! Some people/companies can need a fair bit of prodding to get the $$$$. I'm not familiar with the transport game, so I don't know what the usual deal is in regard to when you get paid (before or after you deliver the stuff, or at the end of the month etc)

One particular large company that I used to do work for used to run it out to at least 90 days to pay, but if you purchased something from them - it had to be paid in 3 days! Most of my suppliers were on 30 day terms, so I had to pay them for the materials used for the job and then wait another 60 days before I got paid for the actual job. It might not sound too bad, but if you get a few customers like this, along with a few that perhaps don't pay at all, then it can get interesting.

-Stu

[ch729][ch647]sod [ch654][ch623] s[ch305] [ch477]u[ch305][ch1503] s[ch305][ch613][ch647] [ch653]o[ch
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by .

12 years 1 month ago #78836 by
Replied by on topic Re: Advice Needed Please
EzyLivin ol, mate , I don't want to sound negative BUT , by the sounds of it you are new to the transport game . If you have had no experience as a driver in this transport game then DON'T even think about investing in any trucks or gear - it won't work ! I don't know how many blokes I have said this too - if there is so much money to be made by buying a truck and going for it , then , why hasn't someone else done it ? Simple , as ol'mate chocs has stated correctly the grass is always greener , unfortunately by the time you have made the jump the grass is already dead .
I have been in the transport game all my life - and driven almost everything - 20 years ago I would have had a dip as an owner operator but not now . The job on interstate is just too hard for a profitable dividend especially with ever increasing charges . Even if you do obtain a well paying contract - you won't have it for long especially with all the big boys running around now who can afford to cut rates because of their economies of scale ie : a heap of trucks and trailers .
I would suggest you need to spend a couple of years working for a small transport firm to gain an insight into how the real transport environment works - not rush in and loose everything in a couple of years . I can assure you it is not a glamorous lifestyle - real hard work , very long hours , lack of sleep , nowhere decent to grab something to eat - never home - lack of sleep again and constant hassles on the road - idiots in cars and constant dramas from policing authorities , cheers Clarke . :o

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds