Skip to main content

Field Marshall Advice and Spares

More
8 years 5 months ago #163981 by ianb
I am chasing some input/advice and parts for a Series 1 Field Marshall tractor.

When I last started the tractor, on the crank handle, the engine ran away and couldn't be shut down by closing the throttle. The RPMs went way higher than they should. I was just about to exit the shed and wait for the flywheel to explode through the wall when I remembered the decompressor, which brought it to a stop. My heart rate didn't slow down quite as quickly.

When I checked the oil straight after the incident it was overfull, but clean (not milky) although looking a little thin. I am guessing that fuel leaked into the sump, which fed the engine and caused it to run away, but how? Is it possible for fuel to leak through the pump and injector? Wouldn't that require there to be faults with both the pump and an injector stuck open, which would be a coincidence? Any other ideas on where to look before I start pulling it apart?

I am going to need, at least, some service spares when I put it back together. I reacall a mention on these pages some time ago about a man in the eastern states that can supply some parts. Does anyone have a name and contact information?

Cheers
ianb

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #163985 by Mrsmackpaul
Ian OZ on here is the man to speak to Im sure he will chuck his 2 bob in shortly if not PM him

I think what you think happened is exactly what did happen if that makes any sense

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: ianb

More
8 years 5 months ago #164004 by ianoz
Sent you a PM ,and asking Don on his Face book Group for answers to your problem .

More
8 years 5 months ago #164016 by ianoz
Here are some of the replies I got .
Tim Priebe I have herd of fuel in the sump. Or the rack on the pump stuck wide open. I would be talking the top off the Crank case and have a look to see whats in the sump.

Don Scouller
Don Scouller It is possible for fuel to bypass the pump and leak into the oil reservoir then overflow into sump but very rare (your oil would be thin and diesely), it is also possible to get a build up of just engine oil in the sump again rare. My first suggestion would be to check the rack on the fuel pump is not stuck up (very likely) or the knock off spring underneath hasn't come unhooked or stretched. How long had it been sitting ?? it is a fairly simple to check that the rack is moving feely for its full stroke then you could remove the air cleaner/valve assy and non return valve underneath and flush the crankcase out with diesel.

Tim Priebe
Tim Priebe I have had the rack stuck a few times and they don't have to sit long for it to happen

Mick Falzon
Mick Falzon My series 2 did the the same thing when I started it for the first time, turned out the rack was not timed with the corresponding gear in the pump. I to was contemplating running away like a girl until I remembered the decompression cord

More
8 years 5 months ago #164018 by ianb
Thanks ianoz for taking the time to assist and also Mrsmack. The consensus seems to be that a stuck rack is the likely cause. The tractor had been sitting for 12 months or more when i started it. I will strip it down over the Christmas break and report back.

It seems to me that racks and pump elements get stuck more often now than they did 10 years ago. It also seems that diesel has become drier and less oily in that time. Has anyone else notice and is there a connection between the two, or it is just me leaving my toys for longer without playing with them? If there is a connection, is there a solution, like adding a little engine oil to the diesel?

Where can I find the PM? Is it accessed through this forumn or delivered via the email address linked to my account?

Cheers
Ian

More
8 years 5 months ago #164019 by ianoz
At the top of the Page , Click on to where it Says "Channel 40 "

More
8 years 5 months ago #164371 by SAR-350
Gday IanB,

As the above posts have touched on, it is very likely you have a stuck fuel pump rack and/ or a sump full of fuel. The other thing to check for especially with a tractor that has sat outside for quite a while is that the governor is actually free, very easy to see if you pull the oil filler cap off, then remove the strainer, the governor sits at the top and is worth checking that the weights move freely by poking something down inside to reach them.
Also, if it wasn't too ,much trouble, id be very keen on seeing a pic of the tractor as Series 1's out this side of the globe are pretty rare. A series 1 is easily identifiable from a two, as they had a diff lock of which the series 2 did not, and therefore do not carry turning brakes and obviously the two big levers to operate them!
Hope this helps you out, best of luck
SAR-350

More
8 years 5 months ago #164403 by ianb
Hi SAR350. Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to check the governor when I have a chance to work on the tractor, which won't be until Christmas. It does have a diff lock as you said, no brake peddle (as far as I can remember) only a handbrake. I will post some pictures in the new year.
Cheers
Ian

More
8 years 4 months ago #164951 by bparo
One thing to be aware of is the Field Marshalls can run away on the oil/diesel in the sump just as a GM can. The fix in this case is to open the decompression lever and leave it open until the tractor stops

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds