Skip to main content

Inter AB120 4x4

More
10 years 8 months ago #123754 by spc383
Replied by spc383 on topic Re: Inter AB120 4x4
I gave up looking for the original tail lights so i substituted at4 dodge ones as they are similar to the inter ones and turned them on the side and fitted xm falcon stars and a reflector to brake them up a bit so they didn't look like so ugly. I have found a set of original housings but the lenses have been quite elusive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #123755 by rb057
Replied by rb057 on topic Re: Inter AB120 4x4
Hi All, Thanks for the replies.

Don,

Noted and thanks for the reminder on the PTO. In my day job we have many PTO driven capstan winches for electrical line work and recovery and there are pretty strict rules for use. Mostly around keeping engine revs down to limit engine torque and definitely never leave the PTO engaged while driving.

Trentie,

Thanks for the heads up on the dating of the ute, you've given me some homework to do. Thanks for the detailing offer, when I get near to putting the shine back on, I'll chase you up.

Clarky,

Thanks for the photos of your great ute, that one looks really smart. I like the tacho, parcel tray and the rear blind, good period correct stuff.

On the paint colour I would take your paint code as correct. The dash top on yours is the same as the exterior colour, where ours is the light sandy colour.

Over the next couple of days I will post a couple of photos of the original tail lights. Agree they are odd and I also haven't found replacement lenses.

Regards
Roger

AB120 4x4

More
10 years 8 months ago #123756 by spc383
Replied by spc383 on topic Re: Inter AB120 4x4
That would be great on the tail lights as don't think i have seen a picture of one on the tub body. From what i can gather there is two types of tail light for the ab series with the tub body. One has the lenses in two halves with amber and red and 4 screws to hold the lenses in, The other they are a full circle with a reflector in the middle and only have 3 screws to hold it in. That is just what is shown in the parts manual. One thing i have found is you need lots of patience in tracking down parts for these old girls but if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Oh and keep checking on ebay every few days. Good luck and will I be watching your post with much interest. Cheers Clarky

More
10 years 8 months ago #123757 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Re: Inter AB120 4x4
That screw thingy onthe hand throttle cable is called a trummel

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
10 years 8 months ago #123758 by rb057
Thanks oldgmc,

Ended pinching a "trummel" from my old VW Beetle spares, all works good now.

Roger

AB120 4x4

More
10 years 8 months ago #123759 by rb057
Hi Trentie,

Thanks for the tip on dating the ute through the glass etching.

I finally got round to checking, we have Armourplate glass and this confirmed the ute is early 1963 which matches what i've been told.

Brining all the pieces together,
Our ute is an early 1963 build
Sat around for some at International/dealer until early 1965 as a cab chassis and was a light tan/sandy colour that remains inside the cab and the dash (not sure of the inter speak for this colour)
Original buyer wanted a pale green ute with a tub back (this was originally pale blue), vacuum trailer brakes and PTO driven compressor
The Dealer/International fitted the ute tub, PTO& compressor, trailer brakes and gave it a respray to the pale green it is now.

Regards
Roger

AB120 4x4

More
10 years 7 months ago #123760 by rb057
Had a chance in the last week to do some servicing of the AB. More of a look around as to condition, what will need attention now and make up a list of future jobs.

Checking the brakes on the front end, found a well lubricated drum and shoes. The original felt hub seal was well and truely past it. Funny thing is the ute seemed to stop pretty good.

While in there found the wheel bearings and the half shaft uni joints as new. Looks like it has the original Timken bearings and Spicer uni joints.

Well lubed front brake

All the parts for one front hub, including the free-wheeling hubs

I was pleased to find the wheel cylinders re-sleved with stainless and the front drums measuring as new.

All cleaned up and reassembled tightining up the hub nuts with the hand made tube socket (tapered to fit the two diffrent nut sizes). By the parts manual the rear hubs have the same size nuts, so it was worth making the spanner.

The only issue I will face next time around will be the tab washers that secure the hub nuts. One side secures the inner nut and then tabs are bent to secure the outer nut. The rear axle also uses the same part.

Now all together ready for the wheels

The next job was to fit the sun visor, the old mesh type. The original brackets were all wrong making the visor sit 4" above the roof line. New brackets made in stainless with an aluminium tube stay for the centre (originally had something similar fitted). Now looks the part and works well with summer on the way.

Finally I've been finding it difficult getting the engine to run really well.

Problems I think I had are
hesitation off idle
poor fuel consumption about 10mpg! I expected better for an empty ute
tappety noise from fast idle to mid revs
exhaust leak somewhere

Did the carby clean and things were better but not as good as I expected.

Looking for the exhasut leak, my offsider (our 12 year old) suggested the soapy water trick, he's a mechanic in the making. This worked a treat and we found the exhaust extractors were leaking at the 2-3 and 4-5 exhaust flanges.

Once the manifolds were off found the following issues,
The relatively new gasket was broken and crumbly
The thickness of the exhaust flanges at 10mm were 1mm thicker than the inlet manifold flanges at 9mm and they share the same bolt.
Also found only one of the inlet manifold locating rings (see item 42 in the parts photo)

The end result of all of this was "air" leaks on both inlet and exhaust manifolds. Probably a contributor to poor tuning capability.

Inter/Iveco at Rocklea could get a new gasket but coming from interstate would mean we would miss the Gatton show. So a new gasket was made.

While cleaning up the gasket face on the head and wiping clean the ports, the second locating ring for the inlet manifold was found in the siamesed port for cyls 5&6. The ring was highly polished from bouncing around the valve stem (the cause of the tappety noise!).

Small 1mm spacers were used to align inlet and exhaust flanges that share the same bolt/washer. Everything tightened up spot on.

Reassembled, clean and nil leaks

End result,
Smooth idle and accelleration
Tappety noise gone
Exhaust leak gone
Fuel consumption now around 20mpg
Juinor learnt a lot

Only problem remaining is difficulty starting when hot. More cranking needed than it should and needing the choke to get her to fire. During the carby clean noted that the two idle screws are groved and the accelerator pump piston is a bit "Slack". Will be chasing Classic Carbs in Beenleigh for a carby kit. Any thoughts in space would be welcome.

Regards
Roger

AB120 4x4

More
10 years 7 months ago #123761 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Inter AB120 4x4
Roger, that's the most unmolested front axle I've seen. Your steering knuckle still has all studs in it. All 4 that I have, have half or all tapped threads with bolts and the backing plated drilled out to suit.
The oil in the brake, if not brake fluid, might just be the grease in the wheel bearings having died and gone to oil.
The hub seal is mainly to keep dust and moisture out, not grease in - the grease should stay there by itself.
My original front axle (early production) didn't have axle seals; yours should. They are at the sides of the diff centre, though. Hopefully still OK.

I had to have my manifolds machined - the faces were a millimeter out. All the locating rings were gone, I just had to line it up carefully. You were lucky with that one that it didn't do some damage.

Those Holley carbs seem to be sensitive to air leaks. Even a worn throttle shaft will give them a flat-spot off idle. Strange you need choke when warm - mine floods! (percolation) What grade of fuel do you run? Mine doesn't like standard in hot weather. I need to run 95 or 98 to stop the vapor locks and percolation(boiling in the main feeds).

Looks like you are doing it and yourself proud.

Did you do anything with the front drive shaft yet?

Cheers.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 7 months ago #123762 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Inter AB120 4x4
Roger, looks like you've nailed the rough running problem alright, and mainly just by a bit of good old-fashioned 'tinkering about'.

I reckon some 'tinkering' should be in every old banger's toolbox and used whenever necessary!! ;) ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 7 months ago #123763 by rb057
Hi Bugly,

Agree with the tinkering, saves a bit of cash and helps you know the vehicle and gives confidence if your out and about you know where to look to get things going again.

Also makes the wife happy in our house hold, when I'm up in the shed tinkering it means I'm off the streets and not down the pub ;)

Roger

AB120 4x4

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds