Skip to main content

1951 Dodge Fargo Panel Van

More
10 years 1 month ago #140570 by fargofan
Looks a great project you have there Geekay! :) Good body to start with! Glad to hear you are keeping it original too! :)
Those side valve sixes are fairly reliable (except fuel vaporization -easy fix). Parts still readily available.
Radiators from trucks of the same era will fit so don't know FargoMarty went down the route of getting another one made up???

Geekay - what is the engine no. by the way? Should be a "KEW" motor?

Also what's the history behind this panel van?? :-?

Keep us updated on your progress and post any questions you may have! ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140571 by FargoMarty
Hi fargofan, sorry, didn't explain why! Will be fitting a V8 in mine in a couple of years, so didn't make sense to go original now and then change later. Decided to futureproof myself with 1 investment. Rather than hijack Geekay's thread any further I'll continue to add to one of my earlier posts on how the build comes along, if anyone is interested and wants to have a look. Regards, Marty

More
10 years 1 month ago #140572 by fargo1
Geekay, great find. Seems to be all there so should make your job a bit easier. Depending on how full on your resto is it pays to start with the chassis and work up. One thing you should check in your motor is the water distribution tube, nearly always rusted in older motors. It hides behind the water pump and runs the full length of the motor. Motor still runs, may get a bit hot though. Good luck with it and keep the pics coming. Stephen

More
10 years 1 month ago #140573 by Geekay
Thanks fargo1. Will check that.
Fargofan, the van was essenitially a one owner by a tradie "A.Dykes" in Mulwala (Yarrawonga), his name on the side. Dykes is a reasonably common name there, and 4 in the phone book I intend to call to see if I can establish contact with the family (assume original owner now in dodge heaven).
:)

More
9 years 11 months ago #140574 by Geekay
Finally have engine no.
Hardtopman said:
Engine number will be on L/H side of block at front just below head
218 engine will have prefix T307
228 engine will have prefix T311
251 engine will have prefix KEW213

Mine says KEW231724.

So assume its a 281.....is that Cubic Inches.

More
9 years 11 months ago #140575 by Geekay
Just re-read this thread and found fargofan posted:
Fargo
Built between 1953 and July 1955
Wheelbase: 108"
GVW: 5,250
Engine prefix: KEW2B
Bore & stroke: 3 7/16 x 4 1/2 (250.6 cubic inches)
Starting serial no. 108B1
Finishing serial no. 108B 5697

It is possible that the in lieu of KEW23 it is KEW 2B (wa a little hard to read by torchlight)

More
9 years 11 months ago #140576 by Backyard Fixer
Wise words from Chocks keep it rolling, so you can push it out into the sun, roll it away from oil spill etc.

My project is ten years younger and had better body/paint. I worked on the body lights etc first. Nine months on the road, I should have put time and money into engine. Motor is stuffed, each trip feels like the last. I hope it lasts until the end of fire wood season.

Todd

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

9 years 11 months ago #140577 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1951 Dodge Fargo Panel Van
Hi GK I have read your story so far and it looks like you have a great project in front of you and I hope you enjoy of restoring your Dodge.

Here some wise words I got told a long time ago....always do the panels first up undercoat and the fun starts by doing the engine, gearbox etc.

I always do it this way as I'm on my 4th resto as we talk which over half way finished, best of luck . Dave

More
9 years 4 months ago #140578 by Geekay
It runs!!!
Finally it runs..purring like a kitten.
Still all original, only item I was missing was the started motor.
Unbelievable that after sitting for 30 years with minor maintence and cleaning, oiling, etc it runs quite well.
I guess the test will be ....for how long and what about when i actually try to drive it out of the carport.
First, have to get the brakes sorted otherwise "moving" may not be the immediate issue :D

More
9 years 4 months ago #140579 by Geekay

Also what's the history behind this panel van?? :-?

[/quote]

I have been able to find out (with thansk to my cousin who has access to Ancestry.com) that the owner, Arthur Dykes was a professional fisherman in the murray river, living in Mulwala (Yarrawonga) all his life. Currently trying to track down family members.

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds