Skip to main content

1972 Atkinson half cab sleeper restoration

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #161558 by Oilman
I have just purchased a 1972 Atkinson which I am planning to fully restore over the next few years. Like most 45 year old trucks it will need a lot doing to it, but I won't know just how much until I can get into it when it arrives in a few weeks time. It was originally a 4 x 2 and the chassis has been extended (on the rear) and a bogie drive fitted. The diffs are supposedly off a Transtar and no good anyway so I plan to remove them, shorten the chassis and then either find a single drive or a better bogie. Also plan to change the front hubs to spiders, remove the tanks and rack off the back, fit an under chassis exhause etc. Here are a few photos:

One of the things I want to do is build a period bulbar like the one below. While I could probably scale it from the photo, would be much easier if I could get some detail and dimensions from someone - can anybody help?

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Oilman.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #161559 by geoffb
Oilman
Just remember all the rules for reg if you are going to change things

More
8 years 8 months ago #161560 by Oilman
Just going to put her back how she came from the Factory (or could of) so shouldn't be any rego issues. Other than the 8LXB, she should look like a replica of this one.

More
8 years 8 months ago #161561 by Mrsmackpaul
sounds like you have a plan going on there oil man good luck with it all

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 8 months ago #161562 by rex
Oilman
I have a couple of Atkinson's, same look, will never get around to restoring both.
Will be overseas for a Month after Friday, can communicate when i get back in October, should be able to help with bits including Spider Hubs.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
8 years 8 months ago #161563 by Sarge
I think DROOL... says it all... ;)

I will be interested to see where the cab weaknesses are...

Sarge...

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 years 8 months ago #161564 by geoffb

More
8 years 8 months ago #161565 by Sarge
get 'em to put her name on it... more chance of getting home.... ;D

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 years 7 months ago #161566 by bparo
Hey Sarge, put it on her credit card, book delivery for 24th December then thank her for the Christmas Present? It's a much safer bet than buying it for he birthday.

No, that idea has never worked for me either! :)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
8 years 6 months ago #161567 by Oilman
Well she turned up last week. The previous owner drove 750km to deliver it, so at least he was confident it would make it. I drove it about 5km and that was far enough. Finally managed to tilt the cab but I can't find any identifying tags on the engine. I know it isn't original and assume it is a NH2??. From the photos can anyone confirm what it is, or tell me how to work it out. Looks like the turbo has been relocated from the side to the rear with some home made parts. Also wondering if there would be neater factory parts to do this?

Time to create page: 0.620 seconds