Skip to main content

1929 Durant Tidy Up

More
5 years 2 months ago #199238 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up

Urchy87 wrote: The amount of parts that get stolen from places like this is disgraceful.

Couldn't agree more..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199246 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
Carby and vacuum tank have been pulled apart. Quite a lot of rubbish inside. That’s not what had been cleaned out but what was just sitting in the vacuum tank and simply poured out.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199248 by Urchy87

hayseed wrote:

Urchy87 wrote: The amount of parts that get stolen from places like this is disgraceful.

Couldn't agree more..

It’s such a shameless act.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199435 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
Urchy

I found the Stewart Warner manual for the vacuum unit. It should print off OK if you download the photos. the only difference between the 6 and 4 cylinder models is the height of the tank, all the workings are the same.

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199436 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

More
5 years 4 hours ago - 5 years 4 hours ago #200753 by Urchy87
Cheers Lang. The vacuum tank seems to be working ok now. The float had a hole in it which a bit of silver solder sorted. The carby is pretty tired and giving all sorts of grief now. Looking into what other options we have or if we need to track down one in better condition. Have tried contacting the guy you posted below but no answer yet. I will keep on him though. Thanks for the vacuum tank details. I will print it out when I go back to work So I can read through it and to leave with the car. No doubt it will cause issue again one day. Lang, is there any other mods needed for the Fergy carb install? I’d assume the linkages won’t match up etc.

Last edit: 5 years 4 hours ago by Urchy87.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200764 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
With your carby try doing what I had to do with a Solex carby on my David Brown. I could not tune it no matter what I tried. So I stripped it down and using a thick piece of plate glass and some wet n dry paper I levelled the mating surfaces out, all of them. This was 90% of my problems and then I found that on my carby the mainshaft that holds the butterfly ran on needle roller bearings and that it was sucking air in from there as well. Originally it had felt washers on the outside of the throttle body but I trialled some "o" rings with success. Now I can tune the carby which is a plus.
If this is your next problem I hope this works for you.

P.S. I was also silly enough to make gaskets for the surfaces and wondered why I could not buy a set anywhere. Turned out this model carby did not use gaskets between the surfaces of the carby body only where it bolts to the manifold.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 9 months ago #202527 by Urchy87
Hey all

It’s been a while since I have posted about the Durant, I have missed a few of the days that it was being worked on.

The problems came down to some spark plugs that were breaking down and the vacuum tank float. Once these were replaced and another pulled down and clean up of the carby it was all systems go. Trying to attach a video but it won’t let me.

There is just a couple tidy up things left but will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help guys.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202903 by Urchy87
Well the budget is spent and the Durant is back hitting the streets. There is a couple things that will be repaired at a later date but they will not stop it from being used. We (members of the Dogwood Motor and Auto Group) all agree that the way to not let it get back to the state it was in is regular use so we will be ensuring it gets out and about. We will be handing the keys back to the Miles Historical Village and Museum this weekend. It’s been a great project for the club. If any of you happen to have a winged radiator cap or wheel bearing cover as pictured please let me know as we are on the hunt for these items. Thanks for your help guys. I will try to put some pictures up of it back at the museum after the weekend. Cheers. Urchy87

The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, wouldyou, Mrsmackpaul

More
4 years 7 months ago #203477 by Urchy87
Hey All

So I was asked what could be done to put a fuel pump on the Durant and do away with the vacuum fuel system. Has anyone here done it? Is it something that can be done easy enough? I assume you could install a low pressure pump with relative ease and no issues by bypassing the vacuum tank or even use it as a vessel but blank off the unnecessary lines.

Urchy87

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds