Skip to main content

1929 Durant Tidy Up

More
2 years 9 months ago #223701 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
If the commutator is too small from turning ,or the mica undercut too much,there is a risk of overheating and the commutator coming to pieces ......if you turn the commutator ,take a bare cut ,and see if its cleaning up...always leave a small witness ,and dont cut into the solder connections..........to test an armature you need a growler ,because all the segments are interconnected ,and unless the actual commutator bar is isolated ,you wont find a fault with a resistance check.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223911 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
Made some time to get up to the museum today. Went through from scratch, fuel, air, spark. Coil to dizzy lead was quite corroded on both ends so I cleaned that up. Needle was stuck on the carb so fixed that. Had all the basics sorted out. Went for a start and it ran, well chugged for a small time before a backfire then it shut down.

Started digging into it and someone has been messing around with the firing order and its all over the place. How does this even happen I asked myself? Apparently they have had a few issues of late with a group doing more then looking. Threw the towel in at this point as I didn’t feel like dealing with that can of worms today.

Hope to be back up there next week, fingers crossed with an auto electrician to finally have somebody with a proper clue go over the previous issue with me. I’ll hopefully learn a thing or two on the way.

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 9 months ago #223924 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
That sounds so promising that it made some noise. It does make it very hard when people who really know far less than they think they do come along and undo all the good work and you know that you cannot lock it up so it doesn't happen again.
Seems to happen a bit in cases like this around museums and some Clubs.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223931 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up

That sounds so promising that it made some noise. It does make it very hard when people who really know far less than they think they do come along and undo all the good work and you know that you cannot lock it up so it doesn't happen again.
Seems to happen a bit in cases like this around museums and some Clubs.

We all have to learn some how, I try not to worry about this type of stuff to much otherwise no one will ever join clubs

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 9 months ago #223940 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
Unfortunately this wasn’t even a club, just a group who came through the museum for a look. Caused a bit of an issue with a few things by the sounds.

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds