Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Thanks Brad, I'll check them out!! ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #89792 by iank
Replied by iank on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Hi Bugly,

I have just been directed to your post re your L 911. I have just bought an ex ADF MB LA911 Fire Truck. I am thrilled with it so far, but still trying to come to terms with some of its controls and features. I hope you may not mind if I ask you a question or two over the next period of time?
Regards, iank

More
10 years 2 months ago #89793 by Bugly
Don't mind at all, iank!! There are a few on this forum with 911 Benz's, so they'll pitch in too no doubt!! ;)

More
10 years 1 month ago #89794 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic 1987 Mercedes Benz LA911-B
The Mercedes Benz refueller is now on the market. I tried for 'club' registration as an 'individually approved vehicle' but was turned down twice by the MVR. As the truck was manufactured in September 1987 it is still 3.5 years shy of the 30 years required for full 'club' rego in the NT.

The truck has done under 64,000km, it starts easy, runs sweetly without smoking, brakes are good, headlight reflectors have been metallised, two new batteries fitted, and lots of other little bits done to it. Check this thread to see exactly what has been done to it. It has the original OM352A (turbo) engine and is 4WD.

I have never looked at the refuelling part. All of the gear is still there, but the control airlines have been stripped off. It wouldn't take a lot of work to run new nylon air tubing and plumb it up again. Fuel tank capacity is 6200 litres. There are still a few little jobs that could be done, but nothing that would stop registration or putting it to work.

$7500 wins you the truck, and I'll help with the loading. It can be driven in the NT on a 'permit to drive unregistered' but that won't help much once it's south (or east or west :)) of the border. You might be able to organise freight out of Darwin as a backload.

Send me a PM or an email if you are interested!!

More
10 years 1 month ago #89795 by iank
Replied by iank on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Gee Whizz, Bugly, I must "take my hat off to you" - you are not only (obviously) doing a great job on this extensive and comprehensive restoration, but in the process are generating a thread that is unbelievably valuable to a mug like me trying to "bone up" on more details concerning the lovely little LA911. Thank you. Thank you! By the way, are all 911s 12volt systems? When I first looked at mine, I saw two batteries under the seat and just assumed they were in series - silly me. Now upon a second look, I note they are in parallel! I just also assumed that the 911 would have a 24volt system. Oh, well I just keep learning at present. . . . .
Cheers, Ian K :)

More
10 years 1 month ago #89796 by Bugly
Hi Ian - all 911's should be 12V, and as you found there are two 12V batteries in parallel. Guess it was for the off-road capability for more electric grunt. No reason though why one 12V battery shouldn't do the job ... it will just give a lesser total battery capacity and less cranking amps. ;) If only running one battery though be sure to insulate the other set of terminals!! :o

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #89797 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Bugly, one 12V battery will do the job in Darwin, it'll probably start with one N70 in it, but over in the Fatherland where it can get real cold, the extra battery is probably needed to crank it long enough to commence.

Even though the 30 year rule applies to most states, in VIC it's only 25, so maybe a VIC Benz enthusiast may be keen? That fuel tank would sit pretty well on single drive water cart and is easy worth what you want for the whole truck.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by bigcam.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #89798 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Gosh, what a story, and haven't we all learned something along the way?

This thread started in August 2012 (i iz bin lukin bak) and your first problem started with plumbing the air,
which was finally resolved in September of last year with a new thingamy,
which you'd got recast in Greece, (of all places).
Now that's dedication to a resto.

Plus of course everything else in between.

We have all been entertained mightily and learned Heaps of stuff about all kinds of things we had never even considered before.

Now here's my idea for all of us readers to consider;
As this thread has been read 22,415 times and your asking price for the truck is only $7,500. . .
I recon that if every reader kicked in 33 cents. . .
that would allow you to park park up the Benz for the 3 1/2 years you need to qualify it for Historic Rego.

Then, with that money in your pocket, and the Benz safely parked, you could get on with the 1948 Fordson and we (the readers) could continue the watchin lernin reedin cycle.

Good job Bugly, Well Done.
A print out of this topic in the mitten box of the Benz would in itself be well worth the price of the truck.
(o-o-o- a great story, and this is the truck)

Good luck with the sale, who ever gets it has a winner.

Just saying

-b

8-) ;)

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 1 month ago #89799 by dieseldog
I'll throw in a couple of bucks to the cause. Where do I send the money?

Being an aviation, truck and tractor enthusiast, I would buy it in a heart beat, especially since I'll need a fuel truck next year. But the boss says I have sheds to build and tractors to restore first and then she'll think about it. :'(

Perhaps I'll try asking for forgiveness rather than permission... ::)

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #89800 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Ah, a maybe crazy/ stupid idea (ta dieseldog).

Maybe the (Darwin) Aviation Museum could take the Benz on as a display vehicle, register it somehow under their tax free "special purpose" umbrella and make you the nominated driver for continuing display, maintenance and preservation (i.e. you drive it about for "exercise and display purposes only").

With any luck, and given time, they might actually find the money to buy it.
It would be appropriate for them to own/ display under their charter and would be useful for them to keep it around the shed as a goer for use as an occasional aircraft tug, crashed bits recovery vehicle, to tow a DAM promotions trailer about the suburbs or as a parade vehicle.

or am I being to weird for words?
;D

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Bobsboy.

Time to create page: 0.532 seconds