Skip to main content

1986 Mercedes Benz 911

More
11 years 9 months ago #89641 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911

Bugly will be able to go anywhere non stop with that fuel tank full on the back, hate the bill if you fill it up at the bowser :D :D :D :D :D :D.

Have a chat to the member over in the Middle East who is buying diesel for 8 cents/litre.

Might be cheaper to ship the truck over there to fill it up. ;D ;D

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #89642 by clute
Replied by clute on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Looks very neat Mr Bugly.
Did you ask them to chuck in a free tank of fuel when you bought it?

Cheers Bruce. ;D ;D ;)

"If it aint broke

More
11 years 4 months ago #89643 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Finally got the Mercedes home last Thursday on a tilt-tray, so guess I've got to split myself between the Dennis, the Morris 8 and the Benz. The Benz has an air problem, where it won't get up pressure.

I figured that it will never be an aircraft refueller ever again, so the first job was to tear out about a kilometre of

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
11 years 4 months ago #89644 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Bugly, 9 times out of 10 it'll be the treadle valve (the one the brake pedal attaches itself too), you won't hear it leaking because youe are revving up the motor. See if you can get someone else to rev up the motor and stick your hand over the exhaust on the valve. Another trick is to put your foot firmly on the brake pedal while you try to build up air, the air will go to the relay valves instead of out the exhaust port.

Another thing that will stop it building up air is carbon in the line from the compressor or the non return valve on the wet tank.

Another thing you could try as well to help diagnose it is to take the drain out of the wet tank, stick in a Nitto fitting and hook it up to your workshop compressor, that way you can hear the leaks a bit better without the motor running.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 4 months ago #89645 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911

Yarh
Wot the Big C sez
RE: stick in a Nitto fitting and hook it up to your workshop compressor, that way you can hear the leaks a bit better without the motor running.

Lift the Oil filler plug/cap n listen for air leaking back in to inningz of donk

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #89646 by Bugly
Thanks Bigcam! That'll give me a few things to try over the next few days! I like the trick with the workshop compressor. That'll give me full head of air and should show up the problem area(s). Cheers and happy Chrissie! ;)

Edit: And thanks Swish ... I'll have to get the missus to take a photo of me doin' that! Might give me a hernia out ma ear'ole!! ;D ;D

Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Bugly.

More
11 years 4 months ago #89647 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Hi bugly, after you try all that go to the 4 way protection valve. Used to have alot of trouble with them on rubbish trucks. They would take forever to build air up.
www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/4-way-protection-valve.html

More
11 years 4 months ago #89648 by Bugly
I spent some time on the Benz over Christmas, starting with a big cut-and-polish on the cab, and it has come up nicely. I found a couple of rust spots I

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 4 months ago #89649 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Bugly
Gudday M8

Looks like u're make n progress on the jerman jiggr
A pic of the type of spring brake would b nice

normally if the air is escaping out the brake shaft means it could b a few things rong If it is the normall garden variety spring brake probly best just to fit newies
they can B disassembled but B careful keep the nogn out of range if all goes rong n make sure u're life assurance id paid up

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 4 months ago #89650 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 1986 Mercedes Benz 911
Bugly, exackery what Swishy says with the brake boosters. you can cage the spring with the proper tool that should be with the unit if it the American type, but otherwise, for the price of them, just buy new. The other place spring brakes leak, which isn't obvious, is the seal between the 2 chambers, if that one is leaking air will come out the exhaust port on the relay valve, mind when the relay valve is buggered it will leak from the same place, you need to take the service line off the spring brake and see if air comes out of that with the brakes released. I'm saying this assuming it is a full air system.

There is a mob in Brisbane called Airbrake Services, Beatty rd Archerfeild, they should have any of the components you are looking for at a reasonable price and they should freight them all right, if you have ant trouble send me a PM.

Time to create page: 0.570 seconds